Saturday, February 20, 2010

I see the light!

Parents Connect said that at the 14th week, you finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. I appreciate that really because the last 3 months literally felt like a dark place. It wasn't the kid that depressed me; it was all the changes happening to my body... and, okay, my life! Some nasty people have told me I whine too much but I assume that these women were the lucky ones who had an uneventful pregnancy, the kind that they just breezed through with nary a projectile vomit session or spotting or spectacular headaches, etc. So I envy them because I certainly had a hard time with the first trimester!

But now that I'm entering the second trimester, I feel better. Much better! And the world is looking bright again. Especially today! I finally heard Jelly Bean's heartbeat. It's good and strong. And for a frazzled mommy-to-be like me, that's just the most reassuring sound on earth. Oh, and I also liked how my husband exulted after. So today is a happy day and I am eager to have more happiness!  

I think the next time I get pregnant (!!!), I'm keeping it hush-hush till after the first trimester. It's just that it was such overwhelming news so I wanted to shout it out to the world! Of course that meant that the world can react however they want and... it's strange really. The hormones are so wild that any comment would set me off--good or bad! If I get congratulations, I get defensive (I'm a pretty lucky girl so I felt guilty). If I get advice, I get angry (I never did like being told what to do). If I get criticized, well, that just gets me going! So next time (!!!), I'm keeping it private until after I can handle it all.

Yeah, that was an eye-opener. I thought I was superwoman--me with my fabulous husband, home, friends and career. Then a little kid comes along and I'm a mess. A complete wreck!

5 comments:

  1. Yehey! :) The second trimester indeed is the easiest stage. For me at least. Here's to sunshiny and and more cheerful days, Frances! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oy, but pregnancy is tough. I'm glad you're feeling better! I think it's very sane to realise that you're a wreck - crazy would be to think you've got it all under control. (Not you personally, mind you :))

    Peryl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello!
    Saw you blog through Daphne's. :)) I agree with you completely. I'm 4 or 5 weeks pregnant right now with my 2nd child (seeing my ob-gyn on wednesday) and I'm debating on whether to even make an announcement or not. I just don't want to deal with all the attention and questions, probably. Only a handful of people know right now. I'm sorry to hear that the first trimester was difficult for you. It'll get better, don't worry. My last pregnancy was easy. I hardly felt pregnant except for my belly and the 60lbs I gained (and lost, thank God!). Now, I VOW to workout til the day I feel my first contractions or til my water breaks. Haha! Just kidding...not. ;)) More importantly, I'm praying for a healthy little one, I don't care what gender. Wish you all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Frances!

    I'm 12 weeks pregnant and I can't wait to see the light at the end of the tunnel. All the heartburn, morning sickness, sleepyness makes it hard for a working mom. 2 more weeks to go. May we all have a safe pregnancy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone!

    Appledumplings, yeah, and what makes it worse is when you complain about how hard it is and people think you're a bad person! Grrr!

    ReplyDelete

This is all pretty new to me so please feel free to share your mommy wisdom!