Thursday, April 15, 2010

The pulmonologist aplogizes

I never mentioned his name in my posts about my recent hospitalization at Medical City but he somehow found out about my blog and he called to apologize. Since I was in a place with hardly any signal, I couldn't hear him well so I asked him to text me instead. This is what he said:
"I just read your blog and I called to say how very sorry I am for causing you and your husband and family and friends so much stress and worry and pain. That was not my intention at all. I understand if you don't want to speak to me but I wanted to apologize personally and also thank you for giving me feedback so I may render better service in the future. If I can make amends, please let me know."
I haven't replied simply because I really don't know what to say. On one hand, I'm okay already and it's over and done with so that's fine. In fact, when I went for my checkup a few days after my release, I pushed the incident from my mind so I can be polite and cheerful when we talked.

On the other hand, when I got his message, I became upset because I remembered what happened. I'm also wondering how he found out about my blog and I know if I talked to him, I'd ask about it and then that would mean making conversation and then I might end up becoming friendly because I'm just like that, trying to make friends with the entire world, and I just don't want to be a wuss like that so I'd really rather not talk.

But, if you're reading this, doctor, apology accepted and appreciated.

3 comments:

  1. You definitely do not need to be friendly with him after what happened. I think doctors forget that YOU are the client, they are offering their services. Sometimes you can't even get a word in the consult.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you accepted his apology with grace and gratitude. :-) It's quite surprising, really, but his gesture shows humility, a trait that a lot of professionals in the field sometimes value less than efficiency and knowledge. You reminded him of a valuable lesson- that beyond his ability to treat illness, his duty, first and foremost, is to do no harm.
    ~♥Kittymama

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so interesting - I do think it's impressive that he apologised, though it doesn't make up for his behavior in the first place!

    ReplyDelete

This is all pretty new to me so please feel free to share your mommy wisdom!