Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Jelly Bean kicks. All. The. Time!!!

I know I shouldn't be complaining but, my goodness, does this baby ever sleep? He's just like me! He moves morning, afternoon and night. I can't get a moment's rest at all. And he's heavy now so when he kicks, stretches, punches, I really feel it. Painfully so. Aside from the pain, I got kinda worried if this is normal or if it's a portent of things to come.

So I'm glad I found this mommy forum of women who also have incredibly active babies. Reading that my kid's movements now isn't correlated to how he'll be when he's finally out is a big relief. We're a little afraid our house will be demolished by this little tornado!

Anyway, today we're 29 weeks pregnant. Last stretch! I'm scared and excited out of my mind! Here I am, last Monday, at the baby department of Rustan's Makati... nope not to get anything for the baby but for a writing assignment for Smart Parenting magazine. I'm wearing a dress from Tango, a Liz Claiborne rose crystal necklace and carrying my Fino bag.

So... No, I haven't done any preparations yet--no birthing classes, no breastfeeding classes, no looking for a nanny or maid, no real shopping, no nursery decorating... absolutely nothing. Someone asked me, "Are you nesting yet?" And I'm like, "Naaaah, I keep waiting for the motherhood thing to kick in. And I still don't feel it."

Believe me, I am willing it to happen but looking at baby stuff and everything baby seems to bore me to tears. I'd visit a baby shop and ogle for a minute or two then off I go. I call up preparation classes and the minute they start talking about schedules, my mind wanders off. I do like listening to other mommies talk about it, but it's like--for lack of a better term--it's like being in a zoo. I am fascinated but I feel separated from it all. It's quite a curious feeling and my mommy friends say, "Oh, you'll be in the thick of it soon enough!"

I'm obviously not the kind of woman who will embrace traditional motherhood. I am super excited about it, nevertheless, and I'm curious to see what kind of mom I'll be. Definitely I won't be the wonderful stay-at-home, bake cookies, attend PTAs kinda mom--my Mama was a career woman through and through and most of her kids turned out okay so I'm hoping the same applies to me.

Then again, I also didn't think I was wife material, and the marriage is turning out fine! Let's hope the same thing happens with parenting. But if it doesn't, I've always believed that it takes a village to raise a child and I am grateful to know that I am surrounded by very loving people who can help me! 

I do confess that since motherhood is most imminent, I am really hoping I'd start getting down to business. Or at least show some interest in it. After all, it's the hardest and most important job in the world!   

One thing I do know is that I love the kid inside my tummy. His constant movement, love for sweets and music preferences make me think he's got a real personality already! I'm very fond of him actually and can't wait to meet him. I hope he likes me, even though I won't be like other moms. I do love and adore him, and in that I'm like all the moms in the world. So I guess we'll be okay.

2 comments:

  1. hotness!! :) sana talaga when ig et preggy, i look as fab as you do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shen, fab ka na ngayon so when you get preggy na, you'll be more fabulous! Sure yan!

    ReplyDelete

This is all pretty new to me so please feel free to share your mommy wisdom!