Wednesday, September 15, 2010

"Because He lives, I can face tomorrow"

Since getting sick of pneumonia last March, all I ever pray for now is good health, safety and protection of Vince and myself. And since the day Vito was born, I pray for his good health, safety and protection, too. I told you before that I'm such a worrier and now that I'm a mom, the worries have multiplied.

Vito and me at the pediatrician--always a nervous time for me. 

Every day, when Vince goes to work, I ask God fervently to keep him safe and bring him home whole. Every night, as Vito goes to sleep, I ask God to keep my son breathing. In other words, I am a nervous wreck. I guess what that really means is I don't really believe that God will keep us safe and healthy, right?

Then today, after I prayed that God keep my family safe and sound yet again, I was going through my Facebook updates when this phrase on someone's wall caught my eye: "Because He lives, I can face tomorrow."

No more worries! Everything will be okay because God holds the future!

And just like that, I knew that God rebuked me and assured me at the same time. "Because He Lives" is an old Christian hymn that my mother used to sing. Sometimes she sang it, her voice triumphant with joy and conviction. Sometimes she sang it, her voice quivering with hope for a better tomorrow. And now I find myself singing it.

How sweet to hold a newborn baby
And feel the pride and joy he gives;
But greater still the calm assurance:
This child can face uncertain days because He lives!
Because He lives, I can face tomorrow
Because He lives, all fear is gone
Because I know He holds the future
And life is worth the living just because He lives!



Amen, Lord. I will trust and believe!

5 comments:

  1. Oh, Frances - thank you for posting this. I am such a worrier too. I was just bawling my eyes out like an hour ago because I feel like I've been on the edge for two years -- maybe even more if you add the months of pregnancy. And I was telling Marc, "I am so tired and I don't want to have to worry about something like changing her diaper anymore!" hahaha! I don't want to worry that she's watching too much TV, I don't want to worry that she's coughing too much. I don't want to worry that she's not sleeping enough. Name it, I worry about it. And I always always feel like I cannot relax. I don't know how to anymore. But you have given me perspective. Well, Marc's frustrated, "You need to RELAX!" also made a dent somewhere. Haha! But you know what I mean. I have to remember that even if I feel that I'm all alone in trying to help my daughter become the best person she possibly can be, I'm not. He is with me. And He will not want anything bad to happen to His daughter -- and that includes me -- not just Addie.

    BIG HUG!!!
    Ines

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen!

    One of my favorite verses is "There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear" (1 Jn 4:18). I remember my mom teaching me this when I was a kid, and to always cast my fears away in Jesus' name. I've learned this in marriage, too, that all the things we fear are really deceptions by the world to make us lose faith in God. The truth is: He loves you perfectly, and so you have nothing to fear, either for yourself or your family. :)

    May you be blessed, Frances! May perfect love be loosed on your family, knowing that you are always under God's grace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AMEN!

    I do believe that all moms are worry freaks for I am one heck of a worrier too. But just like what my mom always tell me, God is in control.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Neighbor, Vito kind of looks like Theodore in the second picture, it only occurred to me now :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi frances! i've been visiting your blogs for some time now. it's really funny how moms across town, without knowing each, could somehow relate and empathize with one another. i think worrying comes with getting the baby out don't you think? i sometimes feel like a freak for worrying about EVERYTHING and ANYTHING under the golden sun. so we just pray and hope and tightly cross our fingers. :)

    ReplyDelete

This is all pretty new to me so please feel free to share your mommy wisdom!