Saturday, February 12, 2011

Vito starts solid food tomorrow!

In a few hours, my darling Vito will be 6 months old. Time to start solid food!

We waited till he turned 6 months because Vince and I have a history of allergies. Vince has allergic rhinitis and I have asthma. That's why I was adamant to breastfeed our boy because breast milk protects children from allergies. When Vito developed atopic dermatitis when he was around 4 months old, that really made me sad, but not surprised. It's a good thing I'm breastfeeding him because, with just a few lifestyle adjustments (change bedsteads more often, boil his bath water, use virgin coconut oil-based moisturizer), Vito is now as smooth as silk again!

Anyway, so tomorrow we start on rice. I'm making his first batch of rice cereal. Ate Marita had a kilo of rice ground up and tomorrow I'll cook it. Here's the recipe I got from BabyFood101:

1/4 cup rice powder
1 cup water
Bring water to boil in saucepan. Add rice powder, stirring constantly. Simmer for 10 minutes, always whisking, while adding breast milk (or formula). Serve warm.

I am SO EXCITED! I'm also a bit sad since this means Vito's diapers won't smell milky sweet anymore. Hello, smelly poo!

3 comments:

  1. My 6 month girl also developed atopic dermatitis at 4 months old. We shifted to Physiogel products (cleanser, AI cream and lotion) and the rashes went away. We had to apply lotion regularly during the day. I guess its easier that way, you don't have to boil his bathwater. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! We're fine with VMV's baby line. And no more boiling bath water.VMV worked wonders. We don't even apply it regulary. Every other day lang.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's way better. A friend gave us vmv baby lotion but we haven't used it on baby. We'll give it a try, then. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete

This is all pretty new to me so please feel free to share your mommy wisdom!