Tuesday, March 15, 2011

This little Japanese boy broke my heart

click to enlarge. image source and story here
He's very cute. He's being checked for radiation since he lives near the Fukushima Daini nuclear plant that is currently having a meltdown. My heart is melting because this adorable guy is so small, he's so perplexed at that masked and suited up man with the strange machine, and he's so brave. I pray this darling boy wasn't exposed to the radiation and that he and his family are safe and warm.

I'm feeling very melancholy. It was the tragedy in Japan that caused this. I'm worried about us here in the Philippines, especially Manila, with our buildings and bridges and inept government. I know that the Earth will act up again and we may very well be the next. I've resolved to have emergency bags in the house and in the car. They'll be stuffed with water, blankets, first aid kit, canned food, can opener, flashlight, batteries, etc. I think this will help ease my worry.

You know, Vince and I were never afraid to die. We have a very healthy attitude towards death. We've talked about it, the funeral arrangements, we have life insurance. We're pretty prepared. We also want to die young (that's around 60 max) and not suffer the debilitation of old age.

Well, we wanted to die young. Then Vito came. And he changed everything. Now, we are afraid to die, to leave him alone to fend for himself. We want to see him grow up, reach his full potential, fall in love, get married, have children. So now, with all these disasters happening on top of crime, accidents and sickness, there's really nothing I can do but take refuge in prayer. It's almost a chant for me: "Keep us safe. Keep us healthy." Oh, and now I also ask, "Keep us together."

That's all I ask, dear God. Keep us safe. Keep us healthy. Keep us together.

10 comments:

  1. I felt the same way about death and my two little boys have changed everything. I'm a more cautious driver, I worry when my husband travels and many other things. Good idea on the emergency bags. I don't have one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we have the same attitude towards death before baby. i was ready to face whatever. and now that i have a 1-month old babygirl, ako na ang panickera dito sa bahay! i've packed our emergency bags as well!

    Let's not lose hope and yes, continue praying. God bless you and your family frances!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i guess when you're a mom you really get to see things differently. i know what you mean frances... about being afraid for the future and for our children, knowing how unstable things are. we really must pray. every day. every minute. because things can change in just a blink of an eye.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband and I used to think the same way too. Now, husband tries to be deployed to somewhere near and to take on an office job. I guess all we can do is hope and pray that everything will be okay. We are one with you and your family in prayer. I believe prayer is very powerful especially when it comes from the heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful post F :)

    The emergency bag is a great idea. I almost forgot the can opener. :/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very well said Frances! I know what you mean! Im so praning now also especially that we have anika na. Nowadays i rely only on prayers to keep everyone safe and healthy. Good idea with the packed bags. Will do that too! Thanks dear!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Let's all pray, mommies! We have to protect our children's future!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Exact same fears. And seeing all the other comments here - my gosh, all these mommy fears are apparently really so uniform. I repeat your mantra now when I worry about earthquake predictions here - keep us safe, keep us healthy, and most of all, keep us together!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i didnt realize other moms felt this too. I was never such a worrywart when i was single. It was only when i was a mom that i worry a lot about my baby's safety and our safety. This post is right on the spot!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haaay, that's what I miss about singleton--I just had myself to worry about. I was watching Finding Nemo last night and I so totally relate to the worry, agitation and protectiveness of Nemo's dad. But we can't do this to ourselves or we'll go crazy! Or our kids will go crazy =D

    ReplyDelete

This is all pretty new to me so please feel free to share your mommy wisdom!