Thursday, October 20, 2011

All about the first 10 weeks of my second pregnancy

I'm 10 weeks pregnant today. Hooray! Now if only this pregnancy could be as stress-free as the first one!

Vince asked me some time ago why I wasn't as happy about this pregnancy as I had been the first time around. I assured him that I was waaaaay happier this time actually and refreshed his memory on how I was terrified when I was pregnant with Vito. This time, having been there and done that, there is no fear.

Until the sixth week came along. Just as I was about to announce the happy news all over the blogs and social media, the way I did with Vito, I started spotting. At first it was just a little blood but as the days passed, my undies became bloodier and bloodier. I Googled it and forums said bleeding is normal so I put off going to the OB since I didn't want to seem alarmist. That's okay with a first-time mom, not for a veteran, I thought. But on the seventh day of bleeding, I had to use a sanitary napkin. There was a disquiet in my heart and so we immediately went to my OB, who promptly scolded me.

"Bleeding is never normal in a pregnancy, " Dr. Rebecca Singson said. "At the first sign of blood, go to your doctor! This is a threatened abortion."

My heart sank. I underwent a TVS and it showed I had a subchorionic hemorrhage (read more about SCH here). The blood clot was as big as my baby. We had to reduce that clot to nothing so that it won't threaten the growing fetus. In some cases, the clot grows with the baby and compresses against it, leading to miscarriage. We didn't want a miscarriage. We wanted this baby!

What comforted Vince and me was that the scan also showed a little egg-shape with a strong heart. It looked like a lone caviar, black and round and clear, with a pulsing center. Beautiful! Nevertheless, we both decided to postpone announcing anything until the baby pulled through.

Well, that all changed when I was hospitalized last week for bleeding. I still wanted to keep it a secret but people from work were getting alarmed at my "sickness." I had to say something. So there. I announced the happy news! Except that the happiness is tainted by so much worry.

So now I have to take medication that costs us P10,000 a month. Then there's the regular ultrasound scans to monitor the SCH. Sometimes the scan shows the SCH has diminished; the last one showed the clot grew. Every visit to the doctor is emotionally harrowing. All these on top of the usual lab tests and prenatal vitamins. The financial cost is mounting. But we don't mind, we don't mind. If it's all going to lead to a healthy pregnancy then what's money? Besides, we have everything we need... except to be worry-free. We desperately need Wiggle to be okay.

This emergency ultrasound showed a little baby wiggling its butt!
So here we are, two weeks away from the end of the first trimester and still not out of the woods. It is so strange because here I am bursting beyond happiness while simultaneously stressed and afraid for my child's life. It's hard for me to blog because blogging is very personal so it doesn't distract me from my worries. Work has been a better distraction so even if I'm on bed rest, I've been working working working.

But it's impossible to forget that we're fighting for someone's life here. Sometimes I tell Wiggle, "You fight, anak. It's so nice out here. You've got the coolest parents in the world and the most amazing big brother. We'll give you an incredible life!" And I imagine that the little one wiggles in response, the way he/she did when we thought we'd lost him/her last week and then everything is all right again.

Everything will be all right.

28 comments:

  1. Will keep praying for a healthy baby for you, Frances! :)

    http://wonderwomanrises.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry that things aren't easy at this moment of your pregnancy with little Wiggles. Keep on praying! The worrying will be over soon.

    I will keep you in my prayers. Take care of yourself! And go and enjoy pregnancy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi miss frances! first of all, congratulations on your pregnancy. don't worry, baby wiggle will pull through. she/he is surrounded by love and prayers. just take it easy! so many people love you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, everything will be all right :) Positive thoughts! Keep safe Frances and stay strong little Wiggle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying for you Frances! I think it helps that you talk to your baby, tell Wiggle you're excited to see him/her and just hold on in there.

    I had a delicate pregnancy as well, I can relate to what you're going through. With lots of prayer and care, we made it. My baby's now 8 months old.

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much! =D God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We will be praying for you and Wiggles... I know what you are feeling as I had SCH during the 1st and 2nd trimester of my pregnancy. Thankfully it went away after my 16th week. Good Vibes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Frances, I can relate. I had a miscarriage during my first pregnancy. Then when I was about 6 weeks pregnant with my son I bled, I thought it was the end. I was hospitalized and put on bed rest for months. I was also taking everything Duvadilan, Duphaston, etc.I was too scared to move so I was just in bed watching TV for most part. My son is 10 years old now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. love and blessings to you and your family frances :D i know everything will be alright!! i'm so happy for you and you've got the support of all your fellow mommies! stay strong wiggle!! vito wants a playmate!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Big hugs and lots of prayers going your way Frances! I'm sure you'll get through this fine! Congratulations on your 2nd pregnancy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Healthy qnd sticky vibes to you and Wiggle. I've got everything crossed for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. May God bless you and your little wiggle frances. Keep safe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i had SCH too on my 6th week last March and had to take duvadilan... good thing it went away after two weeks so dont worry, i am sure SCH will be long gone till your next ultrasound.. god bless and just keep on taking care of your self

    ReplyDelete
  14. hi frances,

    ive been putting off writing to you because ive always seen you to be so up there to even notice that someone had written.and i didnt think that you would even be interested to read about what i have to say. but at this fragile moment in your life, i know a little "trust that everything will be okay" is going to help you a bit there. i know it bec i also had sch while pregnant with my 9 month old joaquin. i was on bedrest too and ultrasound was done every 2 weeks.that, on top of a gazillion medications. and to make matters worse, i was fresh out of a job.needless to say, what little money my partner and i had - we spent it all on fighting for my son's life. and finally after a month or so, we got the good news.the clot was gone,just strictly follow your obg's orders.as in no movement whatsoever.but on the last ultrasound, i was diagnosed with placenta previa.so for 7 months, i was on total bedrest.plants vs zombies and your blog, along with daphne o's blog, kept me sane.we were penniless but we dint mind bec what we wanted was for our baby to live.your story of vito inspired me.to fight for my son.to bear all the difficulties then.i guess because of my daily habit of watching your pictures online, my joaquin and your vito seem to have a little resemblance.could be the eyes.i feel like im related to you.i triumphed and rejoiced in your every good news.and somehow, i saw your vito grow up.thats why i feel for you now.but then again, trust me. wiggle will make it through.dont stress too much over it bec it can affect the growth of the clot.i was told. :) so there, ill be praying for u and wiggle.i wish like that lucky cebu girl who saw you when she visited, i too can share a few stories with you.im form cebu by the way.i follow you on facebook.please dont post my comment anymore.its too long.mashadoong maalaala.ill be praying for u.and just hang in there! :) you and wiggle.kisses to your smart boy vito.i know my joaquin can learn a thing or two from him later. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations on your 2nd pregnancy! Don't worry Frances. You'll be fine. I had SCH too. Look how Tala turned out! Just keep on with the meds. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just so you know I'm still praying for you! 10th week is a milestone when you have subchorionic hemorrhage. I had the same on my 3rd pregnancy, but did not go past the 8th week. I was given Duvadilan and Duphaston.

    But that 10k medication sounds like a new and effective thing! Praying that God will allow for your body to positively respond to your medications.

    God's grace will be sufficient for you, even in this. :)

    To the 11th week and full term! God bless you and your growing family. <3

    Jennie
    Marriage and Beyond

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so much everybody! For the prayers, the encouragement and the love! I'm really trying hard to be a good girl and stay in bed but I can't! Not with a toddler who wants to be played with, cuddled and carried. I'm just hoping the not-so-complete bed rest will work out pa rin. Thanks again! =D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Accidentalmum, I didn't publish your comment because you asked me not to but thank you for your story. And thank you for reading my blog and loving Vito and for praying for me and all the tips! Hugs and kisses to your Joaquin! =D

    ReplyDelete
  19. As I said before, our prayers are with you F! :-) God has a plan for everything, and this too shall pass! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi frances! We are on the same boat. I'm 10 weeks, 3 days pregnant today and I just went to see my OB yesterday and found out I have sch! But I did not bleed, instead I feel mild cramps on my lower abdomen. I just had a miscarriage last July and wishing and praying that everything will turn out fine. What medicines did she give you? Mine was duphaston and duvadilan. My problem right now is I can't sleep even though I'm so sleepy! My almost 3 year old stll breastfeed me but only like twice a day and very short na. I tried searching for others who experienced sch and some had a successful pregnancy and others not. What is daw the reason, did ur OB tell u how u got it? I don't understad coz we never had a contact and I read somewhere that u shouldn't lift heavy things - my little girl palang almost weigh 25 lbs and we have 35 steps coz we live in a building! Nakakapuyat talaga And I'm worried!!

    Please don't post this. I appreciate if you could reply on your blog. Thanks and good luck to us all! God is good all the time.


    Cheers,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  21. Frances we're all praying for you, Baby Wiggle, Vince and future Kuya Vito. Hang in there ha? Everything will turn out great! =)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Dr. Singson was my OB, too for my first-born while we were on holiday in Manila in 2008. i had SCH, too and since i had a history of miscarriage, i had to take a lot of medications and was advised to take bed rest, as well. i remember we had to bring Crinone from Manila all the way to Dubai and used dry-ice to keep it cool. thank God Emirates were very accommodating and understanding of my situation. now my son is 2 years old and i'm also expecting our 2nd baby. i'm just 2 weeks ahead of you.

    i pray for a safe and easy pregnancy for you. i'm sure Wiggles will do just fine. you are both in good hands :) will be checking out your blog frequently on your progress, classmate :) God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Frances! I've been reading your blog for awhile now (I started when I got pregnant), but I haven't left a comment yet. Your blog has helped me understand my pregnancy as well as the joys of parenting and because of that I want to say thank you. I also blog (www.zeiwrites.blogspot.com), but not much about parenting yet since I'm a neophyte still. I am now a proud mom to a wonderful 2 month old baby girl and just like Vito, I believe she's a super baby.

    We don't know each other but since I've been reading your blog, I feel that I know you a bit already. I'm pretty sure your positive diposition, sincere love and faith will pull you through this stage in your pregnancy. Will be praying for you, your Wiggle and your beautiful family. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  24. You're so strong. I think I might not handle the stress as well as you do if I were in your place. I hope baby stays strong!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Frances!
    Congrats on baby #2.
    I had SCH too, we were on our 6th week. the clot was also bigger than my baby. Imagine how worried we were, we are first time parents. My OB prescribed Duvadillan and another one (dont remember the name na- expensive kasi). With prayers and medication, I'm 26weeks :)
    Take care and god bless

    ReplyDelete
  26. I hope everything is going well, Frances. I've not heard of SCH, but I can just imagine how emotionally harrowing it is to go through. My first pregnancy ended in a miscarriage at 12 weeks. There are no words to describe the pain and emotional trauma that we women go through. I understand that your case is so much more different than mine, but pain is pain and love is love. We are all capable of such emotions.

    I am, however, glad to know you and baby are ok. Keep strong :) How far along are you now?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Dearest I am sure your little one will be move than willing to see you guys in a few months... and his big brother too!!! So happy for you dear... Will always pray for you...

    ReplyDelete
  28. So glad things are going well for you & the little guy! You look great! Congratulations!


    10 weeks pregnant

    ReplyDelete

This is all pretty new to me so please feel free to share your mommy wisdom!