Saturday, October 8, 2011

Vito weaned himself. Just like that.

I've been feeling down lately. Vito decided, on his own, to wean, and I'm feeling bereft. I wasn't ready. I was imagining, preparing, even anticipating all the stories of my fellow breastfeeding mommies who suffered sleepless nights, crying babies, and the anguish and drama of weaning. Instead, I had Vito who, around two weeks ago, just stopped nursing. No drama.

I've tried forcing him to nurse but that only resulted to either chuckles from him or a really annoyed baby and a painful bite. I am now expressing my milk and pouring that into his goat's milk formula. It's my way of thinking he's still getting lots of human milk goodness. But I can only express an ounce a day now so I feel that it isn't enough.

Why did he stop? Well... I really don't know. My husband and friends have theories and they all sound sound. I don't want to elaborate yet on the theories but pretty soon I will talk about the BIG REASON why I think Vito weaned on his own. But for now, I am in a bit of mourning because I really loved breastfeeding my baby boy and I miss it terribly.

P.S. I also noticed something really curious. Now that Vito's on formula, his breath changed. It's not exactly adult stinky but it's not as fresh anymore. When Vito was about to start on solids, my friends said, "As soon as he eats solid food, he'll get bad breath." Didn't happen! So they all said, "Well, wait till he starts eating meat!" Again, it didn't happen! But now on a diet with very little breast milk, his breath has finally lost its baby goodness!

So this is what they meant about breastfed babies smelling better, and not just the poop. The breath smells better too. Now I'm even sadder! I miss breastfeeding and I miss my super sweet-smelling baby!

9 comments:

  1. I guess your pregnant, right? Congratulations!!! Hehehe. I understand if you keep it As a secret. My little girl also said that my milk is not yummy daw during the first four weeks. But that doesn't stop her from breastfeeding until now. And i am still battling with "to wean or not to wean". Don't be sad na, I think your Vito is really a big boy na!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww. On a positive note, at least you don't have to deal with him crying and begging to nurse when you are trying to wean. Better a happy weaning baby than a horrible weaning experience for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, sorry about that Frances! Your little boy is growing up na talaga. I'm sure you have tons of other ways of bonding and experiencing the same joy of breastfeeding. :)

    How's weaning for you so far? Any pains?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can relate. :( I have twins and the other weaned herself off when she was just 6 months but still breastfeeding the other till 21 months.

    Breastfeeding has really changed everything in a mom's life. It's a love-hate relationship. Hating in the first few weeks (painful!), loving when you finally got it, but a lot painful when it's finally gone because it will just be a memory with our little ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh no! I feel you. :( I love breastfeeding my baby too. I didn't think I would, but I do. Every time she turns another month older I feel sad because I know she'll have to wean soon. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Roxi, no pains whatsoever. I didn't even get engorged and stuff like that. Weaning just happened, no drama, no pain. It's like breastfeeding never happened! And that's what hurts =(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aaaw Frances.. I feel you! 2.2 yr old Rysse is still nursing and I can't imagine her weaning yet! We went through the weaning "drama" with Tim though, when I was pregnant with Rysse. He was 2.4 yrs old at the time. I started having EXCRUCIATING nipple pain, which was unhealthy for both of us (I kept getting irritated whenever he'd want to nurse) so we decided to wean him. Aaaww. Hope you feel better soon! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  8. breastfeeding is such a sweet and unforgettable experience right? well, im sure you will have another great experience with your next baby :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks everybody for understanding!

    ReplyDelete

This is all pretty new to me so please feel free to share your mommy wisdom!