Friday, January 27, 2012

I'm in Good Housekeeping talking about how I do it

I can't believe that I can just nonchalantly say, "Oh, motherhood, marriage and career? Sooo possible. Here's how I do it!" But Good Housekeeping seems to think I have all my ducks in a row and included me in their January-February issue of how mommies successfully juggle all the things that successful women are supposed to juggle.

See the part I encircled? I'm one of the Real Moms Who Do It!
Click here for the story on why I look like that.

Thank you, Good Housekeeping. I feel very honored and flattered you think quite highly of my abilities. Well, when I did this interview, I really did actually feel that everything was under my control. Then the bag business unraveled and other occupations started breathing heavily down my neck and... I am now feeling really weird when I see that feature. Funny how things can change just like that.

The other day I cried simply because the new maid can't cook the rice right. She puts too little water so the rice isn't fluffy and tender and soft. She's been with us since January 2 so it's been almost a month that we've been chewing hard on our hardly cooked rice. I keep reminding myself to show her how much water to put in the pot but every day I'm just too busy and too tired and too caught up with all the things I have to do that I forget. I only remember when I finally sit down to eat and then I see the rice and then I become unhappy.

So the other day I cried because I can't believe I'm so busy I can't even tell the maid how to cook rice properly. I don't even have to cook it myself, I just have to tell her how but it seems I can't even do that (I've told her today, by the way). And then I have the audacity to appear in a magazine and tell other moms how I juggle everything so well.

So I'm feeling out of sorts. Everything is usually under control but lately, things have been... Well, let's just say every day is a surprise and so every day I'm constantly adjusting. It's stressful. I was telling my friend Mariel that I am a duck, placidly floating on the water but underneath the surface, my feet are paddling away furiously.

Maybe it's just the pregnancy hormones. Maybe it's just the lack of sleep. Because, in truth, I do juggle very well. Compared to other mommies who have to work a 9-to-5 job and have long commutes, my schedule's pretty darn flexible and I should be grateful. So maybe it's not that I can't juggle. Maybe I'm just wondering if the things I'm busy with right now make me happy.

And that's a scary thought.

8 comments:

  1. Can't wait to read the feature :)

    Don't be hard on yourself, Frances. Yes, the hormones are kicking in, but you deserve to feel great. As for the maid, I can totally relate: We've been maid-less for almost a month now, and Vito has been oh-so-hard to handle because he's living up the proverbial terrible twos. Ugh. I feel haggard at times, so I can relate with you. Just rest, and hang in there.

    Holler if you need anything from Greenhills area, I live thereabouts. I don't know what else I can offer except my prayers that you'll be OK and that the Lord will grant you the strength to get through this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. my dear Frances
    Oh I was just wondering how things are going with you. Don't worry I'm sure it's just hormones kicking up. You have a great life, always remember that. You have lots of people who appreciate you for who you are, and that's worth more than anything.
    Just holler!!!
    love
    aida

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am also guessing your "crazy" hormones are the culprit with how you are feeling these days, and that's totally understandable. You'll get your groove back in no time! :) Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Martine, Dang and Michelle! Ya, been feeling down for a while now. It's so hard to shake off. Prayers and your support and encouragement are so very much appreciated =D

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh its the pregnancy! i was like that when I was preggy with baby #2. i used to get frustrated (with matching crying) with how the maid couldn't get the right way of folding clothes. i always had to redo everything.

    tip on the rice: place a sign on the ref on the rice to water ratio. that was my problem too with the household help before. she keeps forgetting the correct ratio. now she doesn't have any excuses for not doing it right.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Frances... saw you last Saturday at Yabu...dyahe lang to say "hi!" You're one chic mommy-to-be! Congratulations...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't second guess yourself, Frances. You are a wonderful mom, wife, boss!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't stress yourself on small things Frances. With maids, sometimes, we just have to repeat it over and over again....

    And you deserve to be in GH. Don't think otherwise.

    ReplyDelete

This is all pretty new to me so please feel free to share your mommy wisdom!