Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Very important info! Drowning does NOT look like drowning

A child drowned in our condo complex pool recently. The shock is felt everywhere. Especially since she drowned while there were other people in the pool, around the pool. She drowned with her parents there. No one knew she was drowning.

Everyone is asking, "How did this happen? How can they not know she was drowning?" Well, that'll be Hollywood's fault. Everyone thinks that a person in distress would be screaming for help and flailing about in the water. Apparently, it's not that way at all. This article describes how real drowning is like and, parents, please read!

"Drowning Doesn't Look Like Drowning" from gCaptain

The article says, "Children playing in the water make noise. When they get quiet, you get to them and find out why." Whether it's in the pool or in the bathtub, never ever leave children alone. Be safe! And let's say a prayer for the poor parents of that little girl, too.

10 comments:

  1. That's so sad! :(

    Thanks for sharing this article. My daughter loves the water so this is really relevant to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my. This is tragic. All parents should read this article and be informed. I don't have any words, I am just very sad for the family that lost their child :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for sharing this Mommy... and as my mom tells me, since we don't have a tub here, even sa loob ng bathroom where there is a pail full of water, NEVER leave a child unattended... whether a toddler or pre-schooler or what... I have 2 pre-teens already and yet, I still look over them like babies when we are our in the pool or the beach...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! Thank you so much for sharing this... I will also share to everyone I know...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww, this is just so sad and shocking. Thanks for this information, Frances, about how drowning does not always look like what we see on TV.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so sad. I hope and pray that the parents and other loveones the child left behind recover from this.

    Thanks for sharing the article. It reminded me of something that happened when I was little. My sister and I, along with our cousins, were swimming in the kiddie pool then. Water was very shallow. Lots of grown-ups nearby. My aunt was about to take a photo of us kids when she suddenly jumped in the pool. My sister was drowning na pala. How she drowned? She saw me sit in the pool, tried it herself thinking the water would only be neck-deep. It wasn't. Naturally, she couldn't speak/scream for help. No splashing either. Even if there was, with all the splashing we were doing, it wouldn't be noticeable. GOOD THING my aunt decided to take a photo of us at that exact moment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not a mother. But, when I was small my family went to the beach. I was playing along the (very) shallow waters of the beach while my cousins/siblings played nearby. Suddenly, a wave but not that big carried me and rolled me over to the shore. I rolled over like a lumpia or burrito being wrapped with all the sand. No one saw me, I remembered I was not able to scream at that time, but I knew I was 'drowning'. The waves brought me to safety as I was pushed back to the sand. -Karina, purplepomelo.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. My heart goes out to the parents :( Incidentally, we are going to the beach tomorrow and I shared this with my husband and sister so we can watch my son more vigilantly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My goodness. Thanks for the article link. Praying for the parents of that poor little girl!

    ReplyDelete

This is all pretty new to me so please feel free to share your mommy wisdom!