Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Vito loves Iñigo

My sons adore each other. They truly cannot get enough of each other. Were it not for one boy being littler than the other, you'd think they were twins. That's how close they are!

A few months ago, maybe when Iñigo was just 2 months old, whenever he'd cry, it's Vito who would come running to get me. At first I thought Vito got upset by the noise but I realized soon enough that I was wrong. As soon as Vito saw me carry his baby brother and put the baby to my breast and the baby quieted down, Vito would nod with approval and go back to whatever he was doing.

Vito rocks Iñigo to sleep
Now, Vito and Iñigo wake up together, always before their parents do. This used to make me panic because, well, Vito might hurt the baby. Everyone says that. But Vito doesn't. At dawn, Vito always chatters away with Iñigo and the little one tries to talk back. They kinda seem to understand each other. They have long conversations in the darkness. Then when the sun is up, Vito climbs down the bed for his breakfast, and wakes me up to carry Iñigo out. It is imperative that his baby brother goes with him. Vito doesn't like being separated from Iñigo!

Vito shares his most precious toy. But we lost Lightning in the playground.
I've caught Vito entertaining Iñigo. He likes to play peek-a-boo with the baby. Or doing slapstick comedy like falling into a pile of pillows on the bed, which never fails to make Iñigo squeal with laughter. He also likes telling the little one stories and use his toys as characters in a play that only he understands and only Iñigo appreciates. One time, Vince was in the bathroom and flushed the toilet. Vito gasped at Iñigo and said, "Wha dat, baby?" When Iñigo smiled at him, Vito replied, "Papa! Water!" He's already being a teacher!

Wherever Vito goes, Iñigo follows!
Vito's also very protective. He doesn't like it when other people carry Iñigo. He also stands guard when Iñigo happens to be near the edge of the bed or the sofa (don't worry, I'm there). Vito would cry, "No, baby!" and drag Iñigo to safety. Even at just 2 years old, Vito looks out for his brother. When the baby is crying, he offers Iñigo his bottle of milk (haha) or his precious toy cars. His ears are sharp for any tiny cry and small whimper. He'd call my attention immediately: "Mama! Baby!"

Vito telling Iñigo a story using Bitbit.
The only things he won't share? The iPad and Bitbit the Rabbit. But we're working on that. I had all these fears that Vito might feel jealous of Iñigo, that this jealousy might spark resentment and rivalry. But seeing what I see now, every single day, I believe that my eldest will take care of my youngest, that my youngest has someone to look up to, that my sons will always have each other, that they will share a bond that will not include Vince or me. They will be true brothers. And my heart is comforted and proud.

28 comments:

  1. Hi Frances. I just gave birth with my li'l girl last month and that makes my 2 year old boy a big bro. At this time, I fear jealousy and rivalry. I remember your blog post about this and I shed tears! As much as I can (when baby's sleeping), I spend my time with the kuya coz I don't want him to feel abandoned. I'm so looking forward to the time na kuya will take care of his sister. Sa ngayon kasi adjustment pa. Though there are times na kuya wants mommy to carry his sister to kiss and hug her. :) Pero madalas nalilimutan niya na may kapatid siya. Hehe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on your new baby!

      You know, before Iñigo was born, I used to fear I won't be able to love him as much as I love Vito. Now that they're both here, I know that my heart can love them equally! What I can't do is spend my time equally. So I guess what matters is quality over quantity. And assuring Vito that Iñigo is his baby as much as ours. =)

      Delete
  2. This is so touching. I'm still carrying our 2nd baby at 2 months now and I want my 2nd child to come out now and see how my eldest will bond with the baby. hayyy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on the pregnancy! Have a safe and easy pregnancy and delivery =)

      Delete
  3. what a touching post :) i'm teary eyed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so cute!!! i'm a big fan of your two little boys.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww so sweet. My little boy has two big sisters, who love him to bits and help care for him as well. But I also wish he can have a brother too. Maybe someday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post made me cry!!! Now, I regret that I spent my childhood resenting my little sister(after being the bunso for 8 years) :-( Thankfully, we now have a better relationship and I hope to continue to build better memories to make up for how bad I was to her back then :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was awful to our bunso sister too. Mama got pregnant with Jacqui when I was 13. I didn't really resent Jacqui. I think I resented Mama more than I did my sister (who was very cute actually). Mama was at the peak of her career when she had Jacqui so as soon as she gave birth, she went back to work and I was Jacqui's babysitter.

      Delete
  7. They're cute! I am wishing to have a boy too soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Frances, this is too cute and wonderful! I apologize for being presumptuous, but I think this should go under "My Favorite Posts" on the right hand of the screen. This is the kind of post na ang saya lang balik-balikan. :) Haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really should update that list! =)

      Delete
  9. Awww... reminds me of my kids. My son is 8, daughter is 3. I hear from Sunday School teachers at our church that whenever there are kids who would make my daughter cry, she'd go running to her kuya and make "sumbong". And my son would comfort her and say "O wag ka nang umiyak, sino ba nag-away sa iyo?" (but he doesn't really confront or attack the other kid).

    On the other hand, it's really important for us parents to make our children feel loved and secured, no matter how many babies come after them. Di ba some pinoys (especially yung mga may edad) would say "O may bago nang baby sina Papa at Mama mo, hindi ka na love." Even before the baby came (knowing that some people would joke about this 'hindi na love'), I already told my son how special he is to us and that we love him. Now, I see that they are, just like your Vito and Iñigo, loving and malambing to each other. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vito's former yaya did that. Nahuli ko siya saying, "Hindi ka na love ni Mama kasi may bagong baby sa tiyan nya." I was LIVID!

      Delete
  10. I love that first photo! Priceless!

    My heart swelled when I read this part "They have long conversations in the darkness". So cute!

    How I wish that when it's time for baby # 2, Tala will be as protective and loving of her sibling as Vito is to Iñigo!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The video you shared is indeed very touching. One of the best web videos i've seen in a while. I applaud the parents of those kids. Amazing older brother.

    Congratulations too on your parenting success. I have a 4-year old boy and a 1-year old girl who love each other MOST of the time :) It truly warms a parent's heart!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so touching Frances! After reading it, the more I want to have a second baby na. As in now na! I want Anika to have somebody like Inigo and Vito. At least kahit mawala kami ni Alvin sa mundong ito, I know they will have each other. Ang morbid ko lang pero totoo yan =) Pa-share ng video sa blog ha? =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. hello! I really love looking at your kids... seeing how adorable they are. Know what, my 2 older daughters, magkasunod sila as in. hehehe! and I have seen how close they were, played and shared the toys they have. Until now, that they are in their pre-teens, they are still close and really enjoy each others company... i believe Vito will be one very protective kuya... :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awww... This is truly touching... I'm so happy to see your boys getting closer and closer each day... And I'm inggit that I don't have siblings like that (I do have half-brothers & sisters, but the age gap is huge).

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awww so cute! Your kids are adorable. Reading this post make me excited because I also want my baby to have a sibling.

    Vito reminds me of Dean Winchester and how he loves his younger brother. hehe!

    Hope to read more of your posts. I really love reading your blogs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Ms. Frances,
    Ang cute! lalo na yung 1st photo.:) I visit your blogs (topaz)everyday..several times a day. hehe. Your little boys are so cute.:) I have a 10 month old bebe and a 2 1/2 yo toddler. I can so relate. My toddler teaches bebe words like "nanay, tatay, tuya{kuya}" and baby signs.
    Btw, your blogs keep me sane. hahaha

    Thank you

    JENNY
    Wahm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So cute when the panganay starts teaching the little one, no??? And it's an affirmation of our parenting. We did a good job pala! LOL

      Delete
  17. this is so touching. makes me want to have a second baby na. haha!

    you and your hubby did a good job with Vito. you must be very proud. And Inigo will surely be the little brother who is most proud of his kuya. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful kids, Ms. Frances! Vito looks like you while Inigo looks like his Papa Vince.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Actually, in our baby photos, Vito looks like Vince and Iñigo looks like me! =)

      Delete
  19. Thanks everybody! Your words encourage and inspire me! God bless you all! =)

    ReplyDelete
  20. So touching, Frances! Your boys are so adorable! <3 :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Ms. Frances,

    I know, my comment is a li'l late already, I became your fan last week lang (I stumble upon ur blog thru Mommy Fleur). I should have started reading blogs earlier, i could have been a better mom because of your (all mommy bloggers) helpful inputs. :)

    I can relate to this very much. I have a 4-yr old daughter and my youngest is only 8-month old. I also feared rivalry and jealousy before and it is heaven to see my kids love and protect each other. My eldest, just like Vito, would always look after her sister. Minsan nga pag nawawala sa paningin nya yung li'l sister nya, she will really cry. Gusto nyang laging nakikita si baby para daw lagi nyang nababantayan. And just like Vito, she would always run to me pag umiiyak si baby. She'll tell me to carry her sister para daw tumigil na sa pag iyak. Kids are really adorable. Little as they are, but they have a really big heart. :)

    Great job for us Ms. Frances! :)

    ReplyDelete

This is all pretty new to me so please feel free to share your mommy wisdom!