Friday, January 4, 2013

Writing my Life List

Martine of Dainty Mom suggested that I write a Life List. She brought it up when I was at her WAHMderful Workshop a couple of months ago. A Life List is a list of dreams and goals, more popularly known as a Bucket List, and I was pretty much excited to list down mine.

Well, it's been a few weeks now and I find myself stumped in the most wondrous way possible. I don't have a life list because I already have everything I ever wanted! I even have more than I wanted. It's insanely amazing!

  • I never believed in marriage nor in true love but of all the fantastic luck in the world, I found my The One and he married me and I am amazed at how much true love has changed my life.
  • I never wanted children but God gave me two adorable, incredible little boys who are my pride and joy every single day. I don't even know why I avoided having kids! They are precious to me!
  • I've always wanted to live in a condo because the homes I had lived in before, I never felt safe. We were always robbed or there were always Peeping Toms. Now I live in a beautiful home in the sky and we own it! No rent, no mortgage!
  • The one country I wanted to see since I was a little girl was England. And I've always wanted to travel alone and then with the love of my life. I've been to England for work (went alone) and for my honeymoon (with the love of my life obviously!).
  • All I ever wanted to do in life was write. When I was growing up, people discouraged me, saying writing won't earn me money. Well, I'm doing what I love and what I do pays the bills and a few luxuries! 
  • When I was 13, I declared that I will be a newspaper columnist of a national broadsheet by 30 and a magazine editor of an international title by 35. Well, I became the editor-in-chief of the Philippine edition of OK! first (at 30) and then a columnist for Manila Bulletin much later on (at 36). 
  • I also wanted my work to come out in big magazines. Well, I've been published in Cosmopolitan, Good Housekeeping, Seventeen, Smart Parenting, Candy, Preview, Entrepreneur, Total Girl and K-Zone. That's pretty much a list of the biggest magazines in the country! It wasn't easy, not at all, but hard work does pay!

I'm not bragging. Believe me when I say that. It's good that we list down our blessings; that way we stop wanting what we don't have. That way, we think, "I am so blessed! I will be grateful!" instead of whining and feeling sorry for ourselves. By listing down my blessings, I'm made aware that I am living the life that I always dreamed about and I believe I deserve this life because I worked hard for it.

Well, I feel I deserve everything except my husband and my kids. I don't know what they're doing in my life. They are the most amazing, most wonderful, most beautiful people in the world and God gave them to me. Silly, selfish, nasty me. I know who I am and I am not the greatest person ever and yet God must see something good in me because He rewarded me with Vince, Vito and Iñigo.

Sometimes I cry at night because I'm scared I'd lose them. I can lose everything—the condo, the career, the travel, the everything—but isn't it ironic that the two things I never wanted to have (marriage and kids) are the two things I now cannot live without? Proverbs 16:9 says, "A man's heart plans his way; but God directs his steps." Either God has a strange sense of humor or He just wanted to teach me that I can write a Life List as long as the rainbow but what really matters in life are few: love, family, health, friendship, faith. These are what we should want and cherish above all things.

Of course it's not bad to want things. I'm still thinking of my Life List! Like maybe, no pimples ever and see all the Disneylands in the world or feature Oprah on my column (!!!). It's always good to dream. But I'm putting love, family, health, friendship and faith on the top of that list. If the dream doesn't involve them, then maybe that shouldn't be part of my Life List!

Okay, now I'm excited to write down my Life List!


12 comments:

  1. Yours is always one of the best reads:) very inspiring and heart warming! More power and stay happy! ;)
    Tin

    ReplyDelete
  2. i believe you.
    totally agree when you said "It's good that we list down our blessings; that way we stop wanting what we don't have."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm inspired to write immediately my own life list, this post really inspires me :) I love how honest you are to share how you don't want to have a family then which now you can't imagine living without, you are indeed blessed in every way :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading your blog. It's authentic. Real life stories are not always good. There are bad times in life too and I'm glad you write about them. That makes you human and your blog real. Your blog is my favorite of all--Topaz Horizon included. Best of luck! Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! Honesty is my best trait. Well, some have said it's my worst! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haaay, Frances. Some of the things on your "done" list are still on MY life list. :) I'm rather loopy that you mentioned me here *blush* since I'M the one who looks up to you for so many things. I'm glad you are still making a Life List. Maggie Mason, Oprah and others call it a "mighty list," because it's meant to motivate you to live life well, even adventurously. I can't wait to see what's on YOURS! Mine's not even done — I have blanks from #97 to 100. I wonder what else I want to do? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It doesn't sound like bragging at all! I know how it feels to realise that everything falls favourable into place, and you feel victorious afterwards. I just shared with a good friend of mine that despite the turbulent year I had last year, I still feel so blessed because I saw how the things I had in my goal list last year were achieved, and that good things are still being laid down for me!

    And ooooh, life list! I probably should make one before I hit 30!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This inspired me to write my Blessing List, just like what you had here. You and Martine are two of the greatest women I admire. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are very blessed, Frances! I hope to be in the same place (professionally / career-wise) as you years from now. I should make my own life list too since it's a new year. New year, new goals.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, everyone! A LIfe List, as Martine mentioned, does motivate you! It's supposed to be a list of 100 items and I don't know if I want that much. That's kinda a LOT haha. I'm a simple girl with simple dreams =D

    Go write your lists! I want to see! Maybe I'll also want what's on your list!

    ReplyDelete
  11. After reading this post, I realized I already have the greatest blessing from God which of course my family! Thanks Frances for sharing this, now I'm excited to share my own bucket list to other people and encourage them to do the same thing! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is the second time I read this post, Ms. Frances. I was jotting down some vacation plans and ideas on my planner, when suddenly this Life List, came to my mind. I will start listing mine, I would be happy to share it on my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete

This is all pretty new to me so please feel free to share your mommy wisdom!