Monday, February 25, 2013

Befuddled mom-to-be? Anmum to the rescue!

This post is brought to you by Anmum.

I wasn't expecting to be expecting when I was expecting. So when the preggy stick confirmed I was indeed expecting, I panicked. I was living quite the unhealthy lifestyle when I found out I was 5 weeks pregnant. I may not have been doing drugs or drinking alcohol but I was smoking, sleeping late, and skipping meals (plus, when I did eat, all I ate was junk). I was terrified for my baby!

My OBG back then prescribed prenatal vitamins plus Anmum Materna. He was concerned that I was so skinny. At the same time, he assured me that I shouldn't worry so much since, to my great benefit, I found out I was preggy very early on. Most women don't know they are with child until the third, fourth, even fifth month! So in my case, I can still fix my life so my baby (perfect little Vito, as it turned out!) can be nourished.

If you're trying to have a baby (or even if you're not but you're having sex), you should make sure you're getting enough folate in your diet. Folate in the very early stages of pregnancy means your child will be spared from brain and neurological defects and even cleft lip and cleft palate. So get folate-addicted! That means eating tons of green leafy veggies, citrus fruits, papaya, beans, peas, lentils, corn, liver, peanut butter, and folate-enriched bread. Seriously though, who eats all of that every day?


Anmum has a spankin' brand new website that will help women trying to conceive, are pregnant, and are new mommies. For example: the one-minute folate test. Very useful! It told me my current diet is woefully inadequate. While Vince and I have decided we're happy with two babies, we aren't exactly saying no to more. So maybe I should drink Anmum again! Haha.

Anyway, I like Anmum's website because back when I was pregnant the first time, I didn't really know a lot about being pregnant. And I'm a smart, educated woman! It was a really scary time. I wanted to know everything about pregnancy, child development, good health and nutrition, childbirth, parenting!!! It's a good thing I can afford books and I have 24/7 access to good websites. Many women have nothing but their moms, aunts and kapitbahay.

Yep. I said it. Look, the women before us are great but they came from a time when they believed in paglilihi. They didn't breastfeed. They loved formula milk. They believed in stuff like wearing necklaces will result to your child's cord wrapping around his neck in utero or putting laway on your baby's forehead will cure colic. Ya, cute stuff. Harmful stuff.

There have been tons of research since then and while it's polite to listen to the women before us, I also believe our pregnancies should empower us to be knowledgeable about our bodies, our children, our health! Yes, be polite pa rin. They'll bristle if you make kontra. They'll say, "Dami mong alam ngayon. Bakit, pinanganak naman kita at okay naman ang labas mo!" So don't be a smartypants. Just smile and nod and then do what your doctor says!

However, doctors can't attend to our every concern every hour of every day. So mommy websites are a huge help. I depended on Babycenter, Dr. Spock, What to Expect and other similar sites and forums to help me navigate the turbulent waters of pre-mommyhood and especially when I became a mom. So it's great to know that Anmum created a website for us Filipina mommies, too!

There are useful tools like an ovulation calendar. There's the panel of Anmum experts—OB, nutritionist, pediatrician and parenting expert—who can answer your many mommy questions. Plus there's a mommy community! I love online mommies! Like I once said before on this blog, my online mommy community helped me more than any other person or book ever did!

So let Anmum be your first step in the greatest journey you will ever take! Start your healthy pregnancy today by visiting www.anmum.com.ph. Like Anmum Mommy Circle on Facebook and follow @AnmumPH on Twitter.

4 comments:

  1. This is great! Like you, I love mommy bloggers, too. And you're one of them. My own mother discouraged me from exclusively breastfeeding. I can always mix formula naman daw kasi baka nagugutom apo nya. But look at us now, si Mama, proud na proud na EBF kami. Thanks to mommy bloggers and mommy online communities, I learned a lot and I am saving a lot because I don't buy formula and disposable diapers. Time to check this new website:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! With Vito, I was so insecure that I listened to every advice—even if conflicting sila! So it's always better to arm ourselves with knowledge! =)

      Delete
  2. In my case, I really didn't know I was pregnant then. I was smoking and drinking pa that time. But when I noticed some signs na, nagpacheck up nako. I had to drink Anmum din. I may have forgotten to drink some of the meds or vits before, pero anmum, I would always drink. walang palya.. kaya healthy baby. may not be a fat or malusog na baby but bihira cya magkasakit.

    however, ms. frances, one thing i really regret.. was to continue breastfeeding.. i breastfed only for a week, inverted kce. that's the only thing i did not have knowledge of. and hindi ko pinagtyagaan... but i promise myself, that next time, i will do it.

    oh well.. just sharing. gained more knowledge too with your post. tnx!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took the test but until now they haven't sent me my free Anmum :(

    ReplyDelete

This is all pretty new to me so please feel free to share your mommy wisdom!