Sunday, March 24, 2013

Boy or girl?

This post is brought to you by Anmum.

Before you think this is about what gender I'd want my next baby to be, it's actually about pregnancy myths. Haha. Akala niyo buntis na naman ako, no? Hehe.

Anyway, I'm subscribed to the Anmum Mommy Circle Facebook group (like their page, too!) and many times I see a lot of moms posting questions on the wall. Questions on pregnancy symptoms are common, and how to handle meddling in-laws, too, tee hee. I sometimes answer because I'm very helpful like that but sometimes I'm alarmed at how some questions are really from another time, as in, hindi-pa-uso-ang-science time.

Second pregnancy: I was huge!
When I was pregnant with my second baby Iñigo, my former yaya did this stupid pencil-on-a-thread thing on me. She stuck a needle and thread into a pencil eraser then suspended that pencil above my wrist. She said that if the pencil goes side-to-side, I'll have a girl. If the pencil goes back and forth, I'll have a boy. The pencil went back and forth ("See? Lalaki panganay mo—si Vito!") then the pencil started going side-to-side ("Bebe! Yung pangalawa mo babae!"). When the ultrasound showed that Wiggle was a boy, she wouldn't believe it. Pencil over ultrasound pa rin!

First pregnancy: My skin calmed down when I was 6 months along.
My dermatologist always predicted the gender of my kids correctly. She said, "Sooo many pimples. You're having a boy. His testosterone is making your skin break out." I did hate it when other people would tell me gleefully, "Ang panget mo! Lalaki dinadala mo, no?" Minsan, if I was feeling especially bitchy, I say it back, "At least ako, may excuse! Ikaw?" No, I wasn't a pleasant pregnant woman.

Anyway, what one looks like while pregnant, what others think of you when you're preggy and even the baby's gender really shouldn't be important in the great scheme of things. What matters is mommy and baby are healthy! So as long as you're eating right, taking your multivitamins, drinking your Anmum if OB says you need it, doing your exercises, and basically doing what you can for a healthy pregnancy, then rest in the knowledge that you are giving your best to your child!

Now if you really still believe in pregnancy myths, Anmum has a new website that says it's time you believe in science!

Now, do I want a boy or girl if I'm lucky enough to have a baby again? It doesn't matter at this point. I'd love to have another boy. I think I'm a mother of men! I do think girls are love but I don't know what I'd do with them. I never really related well with girls. I think like a man. I act like a man. I'm actually a man with a vagina. 

P.S. Vince just said over my shoulder, "No, you're not. You only think you are." Hehe.

13 comments:

  1. Hahaha! This reminds me of one of my visits to the OB when I was pregnant. The other lady waiting with me just told me, "Boy?" I nodded yes. Then she told me, "Halata nga sa mukha mo. Buti na lang talaga akin girl."

    It took all of my self-control to just smile at her and look away. Women talaga! Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG. Ako, kung ako yun, sasagutin ko talaga siya: "Talaga? Hindi halata! Akala ko nga boy rin kasi ang panget mo." LOL

      Actually, that's one reason why I don't want to be preggy again. Lumalabas talaga yung pagka-bitch ko. Hindi ako nauuna, ha. Pero kung bastos sa akin or gago sa akin, mas bastos at gago ako! Nakakatakot. Feeling ko talaga mapapaaway ako!

      Delete
    2. Ang sama naman nun. :( Buti kinaya mong tumahimik! hahaha! :))

      Delete
    3. I think I was able to avoid answering her back because in all honesty, I thought I was still far better-looking than her. Sounds mayabang but she's really not pretty! :D

      Delete
    4. I believe you. With great beauty comes great responsibility not to be a bitch =) Seriously, I think that's amazing. You're a good mommy! Me, I'm palengkera. LOL

      Delete
  2. Hahahahaha! Super natawa ako sa banat ni Vince. :)
    And I like that bitchy preggo that you were. Kakainis nga those people sometimes no? Sasabihin pa na "ay bakit maitim kili-kili mo, di ba girl naman daw yan?" Gusto kong sagutin ng "eh bakit yang mukha mo, mukhang kili-kili?" Kaso kasi SIL ko siya. Hahahahaha! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. People in general should learn to be more polite, especially around buntis. Nakakalokang ambigat na nga ng baby sa tiyan, andami pang nafifeel na different sa katawan, sleepless nights, tapos ookrayin ka pa. Mapapa-Juice ko Lewrd ka na lang. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ewan ko nga ba kung bakit basta buntis, feeling ng mundo they can say anything to a preggy woman. Both good and bad naman. I remember strangers just suddenly chatting with me, saying congrats, opening doors, stopping traffic so I can cross the street. I also remember strangers who'd suddenly tell me nga that I'm ugly or that eating ice cream will make me fat or that I didn't eat enough! Grabe!

      Delete
  4. My sentiments exactly. People can sometimes be heartless commenting about how you look when you're pregnant. Parang ang sama sama pag lalaki ang dinadala mo kasi nagbi-breakout yung skin mo or maitim ang mga singit-singit ng katawan mo. When I was pregnant with my son, well-meaning family and friends would comment na ang chaka ko daw na buntis. Ang hirit ko nalang "Pangit lang ako ngayon pero babalik din ang alindog ko at sigurado pa akong guwapo pa ang anak ko." After a year, nahihiritan ko na sila na "O asan na ang panglalait nyo ngayon, nganga kyo sa ganda ko no?" LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tama yan, tama yan =) Beautiful dapat lagi tayong mommies para matahimik ang mga laitera =)

      Delete
  5. My MIL does that, the pencil and thread thing. Pero the interpretation is different. If side to side or back and forth ang galaw, boy. If pa-circle un movement, girl. True enough, un first ko girl. And as per that, un second ko boy. I'll know in a month or 2. Sympre excited to know gender, game na game naman ako mag thread and pencil. Haha! I wanted pa to try on other people and see if tama skanila. Hubby's making fun of me! Just too excited to know. So far, all is correct sa ibang people (galing in fairness kahit ang weird ng method haha) If we'll follow that interpretation, yours is boy nga :)

    ReplyDelete

This is all pretty new to me so please feel free to share your mommy wisdom!