Sunday, May 12, 2013

If you have a nanny cam, tell the nanny

I saw a video on Facebook. It's a nanny cam that caught the nanny abusing a baby. I couldn't finish watching it. I can't watch things like that. It makes me feel murderous.

Mommies, if you have a nanny cam, please tell your yayas about it. That way, they know they're being watched and they will try to not do anything to your child. I don't understand why the need to catch them doing bad things to your kids is more important than the safety of your children. Tell them every corner of your house is rigged with hidden cameras, even if it's not true! My neighbor points to the ceiling sprinklers (there's at least two in every room) and tells her yayas that those are the cameras. You betcha the maids are on their best behavior.

We don't have nanny cams. There's no need since we're always at home. I guess that's why when I caught the yaya hitting Vito, it was at the playground. No cameras there.

Right now, we have no yayas still. It's been 6 weeks. We're exhausted but secure and happy. We do need a cleaning lady and a babysitter since we need to earn money. Taking care of the kids, cleaning the house, cooking, doing errands and basically running the household drains our brains. We're writers. By the end of the day, we can't think anymore. All we want to do is sleep, which means that no work is getting done! So Vince and I have been discussing how we can get a babysitter/housekeeper. She'll mind the kids for a few hours or clean the house while Vince locks himself in his office and writes and I run to meetings and events. Our family's been great—we leave the kids at my mom-in-law's house sometimes—but we need a babysitter/housekeeper maybe three times a week who can come over and clean and do a few errands for us. If you know anyone who can be a stay-out yaya, please help us!

As for a full-time yaya, we don't think we can trust a stranger ever again. To our great relief, the last two yayas didn't hurt our babies. They just stole cash and gift certificates from us. Trifles. Maybe we'll wait until the kids are bigger and they can talk and fight back. And if there's one thing Vince and I are good at teaching, it's how to fight. I think we should all teach our kids how to fight fair and fight back. It's not just yayas we have to worry about. It's a bad bad world out there and sadly, we can't be there for our kids all the time.

12 comments:

  1. I'm a work at home mom. I caught a previous yaya hitting my then 8-month old baby.... I was working at the other room lang with my baby's door wide open. Ang tapang!!! I called my husband immediately and told him na palayasin yung yaya. I took my baby and told her to stay away from me....baka kasi masabunutan ko. Sabi ng husband ko, huwag daw baka makasuhan pa ako ng physical injury. Tapos nung kinausap ko yung yaya nang lumamig ng konti ang ulo ko, nag-deny pa. I don't leave my baby without me or any family member present kahit na mabait pa ang yaya.... never na talaga.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ibang klase grabe! Kung ayaw niya mag-alaga ng bata, bakit sya nag-yaya???

      When I caught the devil yaya hitting Vito, pasalamat talaga sya nasa playground kami. Na-control ko talaga sarili ko. Feeling ko pag nasa condo unit ko kami, tinapon ko sya sa labas ng bintana!!! Like you, I've never really left my kids alone with yayas. Laging may kasama sila or I ask my neighbors to check up.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Frances,

      I've been following your blog for about a year already. I'm a full-time wife and mom, too. My brother's company is called "Home Solutions". He provides maid services for the day. They can do everything. Cleaning, washing clothes, baby sitting, etc. Their company can also help you with carpentry, plumbing, etc. You just have to specify to him what kind of help (or maid) that you need. His name is Nicol Palomera. My brother and his wife are both Ateneo graduates. They have been in this business for over 3 years already, and their staff are well trained. I have a blog (http://camillejoven.wordpress.com) which you might want to visit so could have a glimpse of our family. I feature my brother there (sometimes). I really hope that this could help you. I could totally empathize with you! God bless you and your family!

      Delete
    2. Hi Camille!

      As requested, I deleted your comment because it had your brother's personal phone number =D

      Thank you so much!!! I will definitely give him a call and try out their services. You are a lifesaver!!! God bless YOU!

      Delete
    3. Dear readers, here is Camille's post on Home Solutions:

      http://camillejoven.wordpress.com/2011/05/04/home-solutions/

      Delete
  3. Hi Frances!

    Like you, I have been without house help for almost two months now. I miss the luxury of not having to do household chores but I am so enjoying the privacy of having our home all to myself again. Hope things work out for you and are able to find a part time nanny to take off some of the load- cynthia : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's the privacy that I'm really relishing. I feel like I can breathe now! I can walk around in my undies, too! =P

      Delete
    2. when my sister (who used to be my kids' yayas) left, we entrusted our kids to my sin-in-law but she has a part-time job kaya di gaano tutok sa mga bata lalo na sa 2 yr old ko. so kinailangan ko ng bagong yaya. so far, wala pa naman ako nagiging problema. honest naman at maasikaso sa mga bata at saka nandun pa rin naman ang sis-in-law ko sa amin. kaya parang may nanny cam na rin kami sa katauhan ng in-laws ko. pero gusto ko pa rin magpakabit ng cctv di lang for nanny pero for security reasons, in general.

      hindi pwede sa amin walang tagapag-alaga sa mga bata kasi full-time employee at OFW naman si husband. pero kung kaming mag-asawa ang tatanungin mas gusto namin walang yaya. importante kasi ang privacy di ba?

      Delete
  4. Hi Frances,

    Another yaya of ours has left the building (home?!) once again. I'm so heartbroken this time even though she was only around for 2 and a half months. Nakakainis when you invest so much of your trust and treat them like family and not helpers. I'm even more sad because you can see in Jacob's eyes that he liked this one because she plays with him and interacts. Kaso nga she's young. What is it with these young and fearless yayas? Super sayang kasi she's perfect for us (minus her ma-kwento personality and 24/7 laughing about everything - but what's wrong with that, right?) it seemed.

    She promised to go back (last Saturday actually) and never did. So good bye salary advance, buti na lang half lang. And good bye to my portable radio (which I bought for her pero sinabi ko bang iuwi niya?). I feel so betrayed and at the same time, so dumb! Maybe it was my fault, pinayagan ko pa kasi. Her excuse was namatay daw aunt niya who was like her mom with matching tears. Then sabi ng cousin (we got their contact numbers) one night lang daw nakipag libing. Sorry na lang sakin ganun? Me and my pusong mamon. :(

    Anyway, I'm rambling na. I just don't have anyone to talk to about these problems and I know you've gone through them too. How do you deal? I feel like I can't hire another person so soon to trust with our home and my son. Para sakin, parang nakikipag break ang yaya sa anak ko after they make him fall in love with them, tapos biglang aalis. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting subject, thanks for putting up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Check out Kiddo Academy https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kiddo-Academy/107791365943211?fref=ts in Mandaluyong. I think once enrolled you may opt to leave your child to them from 8-5pm and they have a program ready for your child na. Designed talaga for working moms. They have cctv cameras. You can check your child anytime and anywhere you are. For me, this is better than getting a yaya :)I'll try it next year.

    ReplyDelete

This is all pretty new to me so please feel free to share your mommy wisdom!