Saturday, May 18, 2013

Iñigo's first birthday party: Getting ready

A blog reader told me, "You're famous for your tiny but tasteful kiddie birthday parties." Awww. Really? That was never my intention (to be famous haha) but yes, I'm a fan of small birthday parties because I have a firm belief that a big party overwhelms children and so they don't really enjoy themselves. Actually, that's me we're talking about. When I was a child, I absolutely loathed parties—for me and for anyone else. Vince said he felt the same. So we figured we'd spare our kids the pain. Brooke Shields influenced me, too. She once said that the child's age determines the number of guests. So if the child is 4 years old, she invites four guests! Well, I'm not that strict but I see her point.

A lot of people told me that kiddie birthday parties are really for the adults. The reasons being, and I quote:
1. "Mommy has been cooped up in the house for a year. I need an excuse to drink dammit!"
2. "The grandparents wanted it. They paid for it. We just went along with this whole craziness."
3. "Big parties mean big gifts! We get about P80,000 per big birthday party!"

I love my friends! They're as brutally honest as I am! So no one is allowed to criticize what they just said haha. Well, I always am amazed at kids' parties these days and, believe me, I was tempted to throw a bash for Iñigo but... It was Mother's Day weekend plus the elections so everyone either already made plans with their families or they went home to wherever they vote. So we had no choice but to have a super small birthday party!

But even the tiniest parties need a lot of love. Here's what we did for our baby birthday boy:
First, we strung up the colorful pennants that Ria Salonga especially made for me. Ria is the one who made the names of my kids in felt letters (see here). Last Christmas, she wrote me and said that she has sooo many orders now ever since I blogged about her crafty skills. So she made these pennants as her gift and included two quilted toy bins that she made herself. I am so grateful! Thanks so much, Ria! The pennants really added something special to my family's celebrations!
 
Speaking of celebrations, here are paper flowers and paper lanters from Celebrations Party Central. They are so bright and colorful and instantly make a place look party-ready! They come in many colors and patterns. Mine were a gift from them (thanks, CPC!) but you can order from their Facebook page or check out their new shop in Power Plant. It's right beside Toys R Us.

For our theme, well, we couldn't decide on a theme until Vince saw these cute Pooh napkins at Rustan's Supermarket. And that decided it. Yes, paper napkins decided our theme! The napkins are so colorful, hence we went all out colorful! That's why I ordered party things from Paper Chic Studio. I love everything they have but I wanted to stick to oranges and greens. These cute party basics cost me around P890. Pretty cheap!

Since we have no yayas and maids to help clean up, we had to resort to disposables. I got the paper plates and spoons and forks from Pioneer Centre for about P310 (I got a lot, for future parties). The citrusy napkins are made of cloth and are from True Value. I don't remember how much they cost but I think P100 for a set (orange, lemon and lime).

Bulaga! Our cute table decor is a set of Winnie the Pooh toys! They're a hand-me-down from the boys' cousins. I think they were a fast food kiddie meal toy. They made the perfect centerpieces!

Since Vince and I will have to do the cleaning up ourselves, I covered the table in manila paper then drew those random squiggles around the Pooh toys. Happy table! The best part is whenever anything spilled or smeared or dropped, I didn't worry—I knew I'll just roll up the messed-up paper and throw it away!

I super love how Pinoy this cake looks! Actually, it really just read "Happy 1st Birthday Iñigo!" It's elegant that way. But when I saw it, I decided I wanted it to look tacky haha and added the "Love: Papa, Mama & Vito!" Dapat nga "Kuya Vito" but no more space. It's so Pinoy! Love it! This simple cake is from Red Ribbon and it's just P600. Super yummy chocolate cake with generous chocolate frosting!

Since we only had four kids coming over for a little snack, I just bought chicken empanada and taisan pastries from Red Ribbon and that cost about P300. Then I cooked sweet spaghetti. I used the new Del Monte merienda packs. A P40 pack can feed four people so I cooked three packs. Big oops! In the words of Vince, "You don't want to be Mama Mary." Explanation: I don't want to suddenly be faced with the situation of running out of "wine" and having to ask Jesus for more! Well, I thought cooking spaghetti for 12 people was more than enough. Turned out I was wrong—we ran out of spaghetti! I forgot that kids eat a lot!

Yep, even Tigger ate and ate and ate! Here he is drinking juice while waiting for his little guests to arrive. I'll write about the party next! Sooo fun!

19 comments:

  1. I love small and intimate parties too. =) Happy Birthday Inigo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too hate big parties. :) Happy Birthday Inigo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi Frances! I am fan of your blogs :) dami kong tips na nakukuha. so true, big parties are really for the parents. kaya kami, first bday lang at di na mauulit! hehe. ask ko lang, where did you buy the cute tigger outfit ni Inigo? Yun kasi theme namin, at ang tagal na naming naghahanap ng tigger outfit for our little one. thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had it made! Try Bumblebee and Co. in Kapitolyo =)

      Delete
  4. That's my mistake. I wanted to throw a "big" party for my baby's first birthday, and he was grumpy all throughout. He's terrified of all the people! I was feeling really guilty pa then because I had to entertain the guests, so I wasn't able to pay much attention to the celebrant. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww. Don't feel bad! The party was for you, too! =)

      Delete
  5. The Winnie The Pooh toys (Fisher Price) were Joe's. Still looks good after all these years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! They're not a kiddie meal freebie =) Great =) Thanks, Anutie Lizelle and Kuya Joe!

      Delete
  6. Happy 1st birthday adorable tigger! I love DIY din. Small and intimate celebrations are more special and di masyado magastos hahaha! Cute ng party ni Tigger. Will wait for the part 2 ng party ni tigger hehe

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi frances! i love small parties too :) im a bit guilty though that i threw big parties for my 2yo and 1yo baby girls now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww. Don't feel guilty! The parties were celebrations!

      Delete
  8. Happy birthday to your little one!

    I totally agree with you that big kiddie parties can be traumatic for kids, specially the small ones. We had my son's first birthday party at home with just close friends and family (which is actually a big group, now that I think about it, but at least we were all relaxed and comfortable.)

    Kawawa kasi the kids in places like Jollibee or Fun Ranch even, when they're tired already and want to rest. At least, since we had out party at home, our little guy got to nap in his quiet air-conditioned room, and the guests just continued eating and hanging out until he was up and about again. The whole affair didn't cost us much too. Super sulit!

    xo Patty
    http://mrspcuyugan.com

    PS Those Pooh napkins are so cute! Pooh bear is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, you have a very good point. Mas relaxed and happy pa sa bahay kapag maliit pa yung mga bata. Si Vito, though, baka mag-Active Fun or McDo kami. He's older na naman with friends so we think they'll enjoy a big party. =)

      Delete
  9. he's going to be a heartbreaker when he grows up, such a very handsome boy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww. I prefer the term "heartwarmer." I don't want him to break any hearts! =D

      Delete
  10. Thanks everybody for the birthday wishes for my bunso! =D

    ReplyDelete
  11. i agree with your opening sentence. that's the reason i came upon your blog. i was searching for small nice kiddie parties, and i chance upon your blog. and boom, i was a fan :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for staying on and reading! =D

      Delete

This is all pretty new to me so please feel free to share your mommy wisdom!