Wednesday, July 24, 2013

The elevator pitch

The elevator pitch is what you tell people about your brand or product if you only have a few seconds to sell it. It's called elevator pitch because you're supposed to pretend you're caught in the elevator with your customer and you have to pitch to him before the doors open and you lose his attention.

Well, I don't have an elevator pitch for my blog. Yesterday, Gingersnaps invited some blogger moms for lunch. Naturally, the mom-and-kids clothing brand wanted to get to know each mom so we were asked to talk about ourselves and our blogs. When it was my turn, I found myself completely rambling. I simply did not know what to say!

I said something like, "I'm Frances. I'm a mom of two. I've been blogging since 2005. Then when I became pregnant, I started a mommy blog where I write about my kids. I used to be a magazine editor but I gave that up so I can be with my kids. I'm soooo happy!"

Ugh. Boring. Thought bubble as I was talking: "A mommy blog will of course be about kids. Why did I have to say what my previous job was? No one's even listening. I'm not saying anything interesting!"  
I'm not being insecure here. I was just surprised to realize that I seriously did not know what makes my blog special. It's just one of millions of mommy blogs that talk about motherhood, the triumphs and trials, the shopping finds, the recipes, the tips and tricks and of course, the kids. It's an ordinary mommy blog.

And yet I know Topaz Mommy is special because my readers are so passionate. You really leave comments, you really remark on everything. I don't see that on most other mommy blogs. You're so engaged and so affected! So I guess what makes Topaz Mommy special are my readers! Thank you, everybody!

12 comments:

  1. You're welcome, Frances. I'm halfway through it and I wanted to comment already. Hehe. Here it is. You don't need to explain what your blog is all about. Really. Some bloggers (including yours truly) tend to over-describe their sites only because there's a need to promote it, to believe it. Whereas for your blogs, you just have to say it's written by you. Yun lang, tapos ang usapan. Pak. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Naks! Ang yabang ko naman if I say that! LOL

      Delete
  2. You've actually made a community of readers na not only from Topaz Mommy but also Topaz Horizon. So you have established a "Topaz-loving Community"! Haha ang cheesy but seriously, we only read because your posts are interesting, both here and over at Topaz Horizon.

    Normally I'm outgoing and a social kitten. But lately I find myself being awkward at blogger events. As in I have to practice in my head what I will say when asked to say something about myself so I don't eff up. And most of the time, I come up with boring stuff to say.

    One thing I also hate being asked is, "O, what's new with you?". Lalo na by friends that I haven't seen in a while. I feel like I always say the same things: "Yeah, I work at home, I blog, I watch my kid. No, I don't want to work outside." I feel boring! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I think people without kids think family life is a death sentence because we moms describe it like it's boring (it does sound boring haha) but it's so much fun!

      Delete
    2. Exactly! I feel like not asking back kasi they'd only say stuff about drinking, partying, etc. (AKA things I used to do with them) and I'm not into that anymore. I'm more into watching my toddler trying to be independent now! And as much as I try to influence them by exposing them to my Mommy-ness and Jacob, parang ayaw talaga nilang mawalan nung active-party social life.

      Delete
  3. I love your blog, Frances!! Keep on doing what you're doing, writing what you're writing. Your elevator pitch is in your FAQs anyway and OK na yon! What matters is your blog blog MATTERS to a lot of people :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This morning, Vince told me what my elevator pitch should be. I love him sooo much! His elevator pitch for my blog even blew ME away! I was like, "That's a great blog! I want to read and I want to work with that blog! Oh, it's MY blog!" LOL Ang galing talaga ng hubby ko =)

      Delete
    2. Oh and thanks, Martine! I love your blog, too. It's very aspirational for me =)

      Delete
    3. Yay! Share it with me next week at lunch ;) See you!

      Delete
  4. I feel extra special when I read your blogs. I feel proud to be a mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Frances, I guess there's no need to explain your blog. I find your blog honest, fun and inspirational. I also love reading it since you write very well. PERIOD. :) Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blog is honest and straightforward. What's not to love? Keep writing & inspiring!

    ReplyDelete

This is all pretty new to me so please feel free to share your mommy wisdom!