Saturday, August 24, 2013

How much protein should I feed my kids?

The visit to the pedia is still weighing heavily on our minds. Dr. Cricket says our boys need to get taller and that can happen with more protein in their diet and more sleep at night.

Tonight, we had success again. Well, sorta. Iñigo was asleep before 8 P.M. while Vito followed at just before 9. We still got them to sleep within that 8-9 frame so I'm going to relish this achievement. Now I'm researching on how much protein my boys should be eating.

My boys eat a lot. In fact, their weight is normal. But they eat mostly a carb-heavy diet—rice, pasta, noodles, bread, cereals. Rice is usually with mashed veggies like squash, pasta is with tomato sauce, noodles with a meaty broth, bread with Nutella. They eat a lot but as you can see, there's hardly any protein in their diet.
Gourmet chicken nuggets. Vito likes chicken actually.
Iñigo eating chicken empanada.

Protein can be found in meat (beef, pork, chicken, fish), eggs, dairy (milk, yoghurt, cheese), beans and soy (tofu, taho, soy milk). How much protein should they be eating? Well, according to lots of sources, 2 servings of protein a day is what a toddler needs.

How big is a serving? For kids, it's half an ounce. An ounce of meat is the size of a domino, so half an ounce is half a domino (see illustration below). Wow. That's not a lot! That's like a thumbnail-sized chicken, beef, fish! Half a tablespoon of peanut butter! Isang tokwa! I have no excuse! If I can't get my kids to eat a mere half-a-domino-sized piece of chicken, that just makes me a lazy mommy.
image source

For vegetarians, here's a great guide. Just half the serving for your kiddos!
image source

Okay, mommies, that's the second stage of my Make the Kids Grow Taller Campaign. First, make them sleep by 8 P.M. Second, make them eat protein-rich food. Third, get them to exercise more. Exercise is good for growing bones and muscles. Let's see how this goes. I hope to get better news at the next pedia visit!


4 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post! My son has suddenly become a very picky eater, which has made me worry a lot about him not eating enough protein. Your post has made me a little less worried since he loves peanut butter and Taho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I was able to help. I've been so worried, too!

      Delete
  2. Hi Frances. My son is tall and heavy for his age, but tallness isnt really in my or my husband's genes. Ergo, we are very conscious about height.
    I am worried--do kids really need to sleep early at NIGHT? Can't a late retirement at night be made up by either waking up late or taking a nap in the afternoon? My son now sleeps quite late--he doesnt sleep until we do. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Night time daw talaga. I'll write about this soon!!!

      Delete

This is all pretty new to me so please feel free to share your mommy wisdom!