Friday, August 30, 2013

Teach your kids the proper way to brush teeth

This post is brought to you by LOTTE Xylitol.

As Xylitol brand ambassador (that's me at rightmost, with the baby), I am compelled to talk to you fab mommies about dental health.

Actually, I'll confess that I don't have the best dental hygiene habits but I only found out how awful I've been after a fascinating talk given by Dr. Fina Lopez at the launch of the Lotte Xylitol Make It Zero program. I mean, I have really nice teeth. Even my dentist says so! But apparently, I've just been lucky because I've been brushing my teeth the wrong way for the past, oh, 36 years!!!

Dr. Fina Lopez. I super love her diamond drop earrings!
Dr. Fina said a lot of interesting things. Most of them horrifying for me actually! For example:
1. Cavities are contagious!!! OMG. Before you kiss a guy, ask if he has cavities! Joke. No joke! For us mommies, don't allow people to kiss your kids especially on the mouth. I have always found that gross. Plus, tell yaya not to blow on your baby's food because if she has cavities and her saliva splatters on the food, your baby will get the bacteria in her mouth. I actually had my former yaya go to the dentist and have her teeth fixed. Wow, it was soooo expensive! Tapos umalis lang siya after a few months! Kainis! But after Dr. Fina's talk, I'm so happy I did that!  
2. Cakes vs chocolate? Chocolate wins! While both food are sweet (and therefore bad for your teeth), chocolates melt.  
3. Iced tea vs soft drinks? Neither! Both are not just sugary, they are also acidic. Drink water!!! 
4. Always supervise your kids' Brush Teeth Time. That's what we call it here: "Okay, kids, Brush Teeth Time!" And then my boys run to the bathroom. They love brushing their teeth! But Dr. Fina said it's not enough to just brush together, we must actually make sure the kids are brushing their teeth right. Young kids especially don't have the manual dexterity yet so she said to lay the baby on my lap and brush his teeth while he's lying down. Good luck. This really annoys Iñigo. With Vito, I just make him bend his neck back so I can really see his teeth. 
Now let me tell you how to brush your teeth, mommies.
Floss first. This dislodges the food particles between your teeth so when you brush after, the food particles are brushed away.
My dental hygiene sin: I always floss after brushing! But I floss before brushing now. Yey me! 
Brush for 3 minutes, 3 times a day. Most people don't even reach a minute! The reason why you need to brush for that long is you need to bathe your teeth in flouride so that teeth become strong and protected. If you brush briefly and just once a day, your teeth will have lots of time to be exposed to decaying food in your mouth, which odor-causing and teeth-eroding bacteria just love!
My dental hygiene sin: I brush only twice a day and only for two minutes. But my dentist told me that's okay as long as I chew Xylitol in between meals. Hooray for Xylitol! 
Brush gently. And here's the reason my dentist said I'm okay to brush twice a day: I brush too hard. I do that to make up for the less than 3 minutes I spend brushing. Brushing too hard damages gums and wears away the tooth enamel. That's what my dentist said: "Your teeth are very clean but you have cavities because you've worn away your enamel." (She fixed the cavity situation after saying that!) Brush gently! And with soft bristles, too.
My dental hygiene sin: I brush too hard. Now I'm gentle! 
Don't rinse. Say whaaaaaat?! Yes, you read that right. Do NOT rinse mouth after brushing your teeth! Again, your teeth need to be exposed to flouride for the longest time possible. If you rinse after brushing, well, you just washed away all that flouride and other beneficial ingredients toothpaste has! Dr. Fina said to just spit and then walk away. Walk away! And don't eat or drink anything for at least 30 minutes to allow that flouride to work its magic.
My dental hygiene sin: I rinse. I still do! I can't undo 36 years of rinsing!!! But I'm trying really hard. My dentist gave us a bottle of flouride. She said, "If you can't resist rinsing, coat your teeth with flouride after you rinse." 
So, mommies, teach your kids to brush their teeth properly. When you're old like me, it is very difficult to unlearn bad habits. Click on this story for more tips on brushing teeth!


You can also give your kids Lotte Xylitol chewing gum. It's a fun and yummy way to keep teeth free from bacteria. Xylitol encourages saliva flow, which helps maintain healthy pH levels in the mouth. The gum also removes food particles that may still be stuck in your teeth and tongue. It also helps remove stubborn tartar and prevents plaque on teeth surfaces. Plus, your mouth smells so fresh!

Just make sure you remind them to chew with their mouth closed!


Lotte Xylitol dental health gum is available in bottles and blister packs, and comes in three exciting flavors: Blueberry Mint, Fresh Mint, and Lime Mint. Lotte Xylitol is reasonably priced and can be found in leading supermarkets and drugstores across the Philippines. For more information, visit http://www.lottexylitolgum.com/.

5 comments:

  1. Parang hindi ko din kaya na mag "walk away" na lang at wag mag rinse. Haha! At ngayon ko lang din nalaman na dapat mag floss muna bago mag brush ng teeth. Bibili na nga ako ng Lotte Xylitol Gum! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mandidiri ka talaga. I feel like I shampooed and didn't wash out the suds! My hubby says it helped when he switched to a non-sudsy toothpaste. He said Pinoy toothpaste is extra sudsy. Diba when you watch movies and TV shows, yung mga Americans walang foam yung toothpaste nila and then they just spit and then wipe their mouths? Kaya pala!

      Delete
    2. Kaya pala sa commercial din hindi sila nag ri-rinse! 5 days nadin ako hindi nag ri-rinse. Weird pero medyo nasasanay nadin kasi nag switch na ako sa non-sudsy toothpaste (like what you're hubby said). Akala ko pa naman mas mabula, mas masaya! lol!

      Delete
  2. Geez. I did not know you should never rinse after brushing. How about the mouthwash? When and how does one use it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, mouthwash isn't necessary. Use it only upon your dentist's recommendation. Also, dentists don't approve of mouthwash that has alcohol since alcohol dries up the mouth, causing even more bacteria. So use mouthwash like Swish.

      Dentists also say that you use a mouthwash 30 minutes AFTER brushing teeth. Again, this is because you want the flouride in the toothpaste to stay on your teeth. So here's the order: floss, brush, do NOT rinse, then after 30 mins you can chew Xylitol or use mouthwash. =)

      Here's more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2343504/When-mouthwash-actually-make-bad-breath-WORSE.html

      Delete

This is all pretty new to me so please feel free to share your mommy wisdom!