Monday, January 13, 2014

Health priority of the year: dental wellness

This post is brought to you by Lotte Xylitol.

After all the candies and chocolates and desserts and ice cream and general carbo-and-sugar loading that happened in the last month, I'm feeling really gross!

So our first health checkup of the year is with the dentist. We're trying out MetroDental this year since the dentist we like—this guy with the lightest hands in the world—moved his clinic to we don't know where. Anyway, I had my teeth checked and my X-rays done before I got pregnant and, while my teeth are nice and strong and clean, I was told I needed to have a wisdom tooth removed (uh oh) and braces put in because my teeth have all moved. I actually didn't need a dental expert to tell me that. I know my teeth have moved. I see gaps between my teeth and they are widening. But since I'm pregnant, I'll have to have all these procedures done later this year. Sigh!

Vince is going tomorrow and then we'll bring the kiddies a bit later. According to Dr. Fina Lopez, the dentist who spoke at the last Xylitol event I attended as a brand ambassador, we parents should bring our kids to the dentist when there are no problems yet. That way, our kids will see the dentist as a friend. Usually, parents go when their kids' teeth are teeming with cavities and so of course the dentist goes in there and drills holes and slaps cement on and basically gives our kids nightmares. That is not a good way for the dentist-patient relationship to start!

When did you bring your kids to the dentist? I haven't brought mine although teeth experts say to bring them as soon as the first few teeth erupt.

My boys, three-year-old Vito and 20-month-old Iñigo, have nice teeth. They absolutely love brushing their teeth so we have no problems with tooth decay... so far. That's why I was delaying a visit to the dentist but this is the year we go because my boys like sweets a wee bit too much! Wish us luck!

Anyway, Lotte Xylitol, the yummy dental gum, provided us mommies a handy set of forms to help us keep track of the dental wellness of our kids' teeth. There are four downloadable forms:
1. The Teeth Care Chart is a weekly checklist that can help you track and ensure that your child gets to daily brush his teeth, floss and take Lotte Xylitol.
2. The Primary Teeth Tracker lets you monitor and record when your kid's baby teeth erupt and then subsequently lose.
3. The Permanent Teeth Tracker lets you monitor and record when your kid's permanent teeth start showing.
4. The Dentist Appointment form helps you organize and record your child's visits to the dentist, which at the minimum should be twice a year.

Here are the forms I already downloaded and will print:
My babies can't chew gum yet, though! But their toothpaste has Xylitol.



You can get Lotte Xylitol's Dental Baby Downloads from this link: http://lottexylitolgum.com/download/ 

Have a great new year of healthy smiles!

Lotte Xylitol dental health gum is available in bottles and blister packs, and comes in three exciting flavors: Blueberry Mint, Fresh Mint, and Lime Mint. Lotte Xylitol is reasonably priced and can be found in leading supermarkets and drugstores across the Philippines. For more information, visithttp://www.lottexylitolgum.com/.

* * * * * * *
P.S.
Subscribe to my newsletter
Like me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Follow me on Instagram
Love me on Bloglovin'

3 comments:

  1. Hi Frances! I tried bringing Lyndel to his first dentist last year but he got scared :( Good thing the dentist was so patient and asked us to visit next time na lang, and she didn't charge haha. Anyhow, my mission now is to make Lyndel feel comfortable first with the idea of visiting a dentist. I'm looking for books animated shows featuring visits to the dentist :) I'm really serious about his dental health, I may not be the best person to console him if ever he'll have toothaches (heaven forbid) as I never had a toothache in my life! Yabang noh? ahaha. My Mom said hobby ko daw kasi when I was little was to brush brush and brush :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took my daughter to her first dental visit at 18 months. I figured it was best to do it before any damage happens and she gets traumatized by the dentist. She didn't enjoy being held down by her dad while her mouth was probed and checked, but the visit took half an hour tops. I try to follow the recommended schedules by doctors, dentists, etc. I'm a firm believer of prevention being 100% better than cure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Frances great job. On the blog you have provided some useful forms to download and links to great sites. Liked the idea about bringing your child to the dentist before there is any problems because the first experience will be positive.

    ReplyDelete

This is all pretty new to me so please feel free to share your mommy wisdom!