Saturday, August 23, 2014

Why I allow my kids to play with mobile devices

This post is brought to you by SMART Communications.

Some time ago, an article with the too-long title "10 Reasons Why Handheld Devices Should be Banned for Children Under the Age of 12" went viral. As a rebuttal, a team of professors from esteemed universities and education groups wrote an article with also a long title called "10 Reasons Why We Need Research Literacy, Not Scare Columns."

I love this long-titled list the best: "10 Reasons Why I Will Continue to Give My Kids Handheld Devices." Please click on the article because it's told from a teacher-mom's point of view!

My husband and I allow our kids to play with computers and handheld devices. Because we're writers and we work from home, we have a lot of gadgets. My iPhone and iPad Mini were given by Smart Communications (thanks, Smart!) because, like me, Smart believes modern families need gadgets in this fast-paced world.

Vito loves playing video games.
Iñigo is sometimes allowed to use my laptop.

Anyway, though we have several gadgets at home, we've never really had a problem with the kids. Sure, sometimes they zone out but they snap out of it when we impose our ownership of the gadgets. Yes, Mama and Papa own all the gadgets so when we want them back, our kids give them up. I think that's important. Don't buy gadgets for your kids. That way, they won't claim their right to play with it. If they know it's yours, then they will borrow it, respect the fact that they have limited use, and return it when the owners (the parents) want it back. That's how it is in our house anyway, and it really works!

I just can't ban technology because my kids learn so much from educational apps. Vito has a big vocabulary because of the fun videos he watches. Both boys love Play-Doh tutorials and they get inspired when they play with their Play-Doh afterwards. I must confess it's the iPad that taught Vito the alphabet. Well, we taught him his letters and numbers but the iPad apps sure helped! We homeschool the kids and play-learn with arts and crafts, but the iPad has been an invaluable tool to us parent-teachers, too!

As work-at-home parents and because we've been without household help for months on end, the gadgets sometimes rescue us when we need to meet a deadline or I need to prepare dinner. I mean, do I insist on playing with them myself and letting everyone go hungry or do I let them have a little fun on tablets while I cook?

I know parents are scared that mobile devices, video games and computers will just produce problem kids. But I've always believed that misbehaving kids just need good parenting. Mobile gadgets are not the enemy; poor parenting is! I use gadgets as tools in educating and entertaining my children. We impose rules on gadget use. We're the parents after all!

Remember: If you buy a gadget, buy it for yourself so that your kids will respect your property! Now if you're ready to own a mobile device, Smart has some great deals on the iPad Mini, Alcatel, and Sony Experia. Go to Smart's Awesome Deals to check them out. Limited units left!
CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO!

Last article with a loooong title to read! It's from WIRED: "How a Radical New Teaching Method Can Unleash a Generation of Geniuses." You. Must. Read. It!!!

* * * * * * *
P.S.
Subscribe to my newsletter
Like me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Follow me on Instagram
Love me on Bloglovin'

2 comments:

  1. I like this part: "Yes, Mama and Papa own all the gadgets so when we want them back, our kids give them up", In our house kasi, yes I own the smartphone, and Neo will "borrow it", but once he has it na, its his na. I think I need to impose na the smartphone is mine. thanks, Frances.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! I am also a parent who lets my kids play with our gadgets. My mantra is "everything in moderation". Congrats on your new baby. :)

    ReplyDelete

This is all pretty new to me so please feel free to share your mommy wisdom!