Friday, March 13, 2015

Please don't call them heartbreakers

I know it's a compliment. These boys are just too cute. I fall in love with them every day!

But whenever people say, "They'll break hearts one day!", I cringe and rebuke the curse. Yes, that's a curse. Heartbreakers are jerks and assholes. They don't keep their promises. They play with affections. They sleep around. They disrespect women. They don't commit.

They are not my sons.

My sons are sweet and tender. They are kind and affectionate. They are trusting and they don't lie either. They are well mannered. They are little gentlemen, just like their Papa. They will never be heartbreakers.

So every time someone says of my boys, "They'll grow up to be heartbreakers," I immediately say, "No. Please take that back. They will be good men."

I know, I know. It's a compliment. It's meant well, and I appreciate the sentiment. But my world is made of words and I know their power. Repeat a word often enough to refer to someone and he becomes it. Let's not wield that word so carelessly, and maybe our boys will grow up to be gentlemen who will melt and mend hearts, not break them.

* * * * * * *
P.S.
Subscribe to my newsletter
Like me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Follow me on Instagram
Love me on Bloglovin'



9 comments:

  1. I'm a new reader and I'm not a mom.. but I love this. I genuinely love this post. I don't know why but it speaks to me. I'll keep this in mind when I have my own kids. Great work. I'm sure your sons would grow up to be kind and loving men. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for coming over my online home! =)

      And let's keep it in mind when we see our friends' kids!

      Delete
  2. I totally agree :)

    But my world is made of words and I know their power. Repeat a word often enough to refer to someone and he becomes it. Let's not wield that word so carelessly, and maybe our boys will grow up to be gentlemen who will melt and mend hearts, not break them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! Thanks for reminding me about the power of the words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post! Like you, I have three little boys *apir*. Now I know how to respond to the similar compliment :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you. It enrages me to hear people saying "You're bad" to my seven-month-old baby.

    You're boys are so pogi. They won't break hearts. They will warm hearts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why would anyone say that to a 7-month-old baby?!? How horrible! Please tell these people to stop! Kawawa naman your baby =( Nagagalit at naiiyak ako just thinking about it!!!

      Delete
  6. Hi, Mommy Frances!

    I have two boys, and they have also been told that "They will break hearts." Although in my head, I've disliked it and actually told someone off that I intend to teach them to respect women and treat them properly, I never thought of it as a "curse". But when I read this post, I realized that you do have a point. From now on, I shall rebuke. And teaching my boys to respect women will be one of my priorities. - T. Des

    ReplyDelete

This is all pretty new to me so please feel free to share your mommy wisdom!