Monday, March 14, 2016

My last blog post on Topaz Mommy

Hi, dear mommies that I love so much!

Today is a sad day. I'm saying good-bye to Topaz Mommy today. I've been talking about the difficulties of mommy blogging for a while now, coupled with the stress of maintaining two blogs. My Loyal Readers have been assuring me for more than a year that they will appreciate following just one blog.

I couldn't decide which blog I was going to kill, even though my readers told me I should keep Topaz Horizon. I love Topaz Mommy. But I realized that I'm not really talking about my kids anymore anyway. I knew it was mommy blogging that had to go.

First, I'm not as brave as I used to be and I don't want to be judged harshly as a mother. Things like giving my first baby formula, using disposable diapers, vaccinating my boys, letting them play with gadgets, giving them fast food to eat—these things make other moms call me a bad mom. I'm not a bad mom. For myself, I honestly don't care what other people think of me. But for my boys, I don't want people to think (or worse, tell them) they have a bad mommy.

Second, I've always planned on giving my kids complete privacy when they turn 6 years old. Why 6? Well, I thought that while they're still babies, their faces are still changing, they're still stuck to me nearly 24/7, and they have no concept of social media. But now that my first boy is turning 6, he'll be spending half the day in a school far from me and my protection. He'll meet strangers without me. I want his face to be anonymous now, which is possible since it's still not in its permanent form.

And he's aware of social media now. He tells me if he wants his picture posted, for example. Most of the time, he doesn't so to those who tease me that I have favorites based on the number of photos of my sons that I share on Instagram, nope, I don't have favorites. I love my eldest son as much as I love the second and third. But most of the time, that little boy doesn't want his photos shared so I don't.

Third, I can still talk about parenting on Topaz Horizon anyway. After all, my second and third sons are still babies. I can still share them with you, my dearest Loyal Readers! My few parenting stories will continue there so you can still follow my adventures as a mommy there. No real good-byes!

Well, saying good-bye to this blog is very real to me.

I'll keep this blog up as an archive of the six most wonderful years I've known so far. Best years ever! Crazy years, for sure. What an emotional roller coaster it's been! Yet another reason I've had a hard time with mommy blogging. When I started this blog, I promised that I will always be brutally honest. But things change. I realized I can't share everything with you—how I felt about my pregnancies, how motherhood is changing my marriage, how I feel about how other parents parent, how I feel about breastfeeding after three kids. It's not just those big things, even the silly milestones we're proud of, I have become shy to share. Like how my kids were toilet-trained (very quickly, if you must know!). I feel that that's too private, even though parents ask me all the time how we did it so stress-free. So if I'm having trouble sharing the everyday joys and trials of motherhood, then it's time to let mommy blogging go.

But not all of it! For more of my adventures as a writer, editor and wife who also happens to be a mommy, do follow Topaz Horizon. In fact, to entice you, I'm doing a fantabulous giveaway right there right now!

So no good-byes. Just a change of scenery. But thank you, all of you, for the warm welcome to motherhood, the guidance and encouragement through the dark days, the friendship and the love, the prayers and blessings, the gifts and all the virtual hugs and pats on the back. Grabe! You are such a HUGE part of my life as a mommy. Huge. I don't know how I would've navigated motherhood without you, your support, your wisdom, and your friendship. Especially since I don't have a mom, you were all mothers to me. Thank you!


Yes, thank you. Thank you so much for loving my family, especially my darling little boys! I can't thank you enough. God bless you!

See you at TopazHorizon.com!

14 comments:

  1. Exciting things to come, Frances! I know that this isn't goodbye naman so I'm really happy and excited for you! :) I will always be here to support you! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited for this new chapter, Frances :) I'm with you all the way kahit ibang blog domain pa yan that my Momnesia brain has to remember. Hehehe All the best and hope to see you soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is sad but I'm happy we can still follow you through Topaz Horizon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Frances,
    I agree 100% with the idea "I've always planned on giving my kids complete privacy when they turn 6 years old"
    Most parents start doing that if the kids are 16:)
    Wish you all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Indeed, changes are a bit uncomfortable but every decision you make is the best for you and your family. It's like growing out of the nursery into a big kid room. Motherhood will always be a part of you, and so is being a wife, a writer, etc. I will definitely see you at Topaz Horizon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I felt sad kasi I've first known you because of this blog. Nung time na naghahanap ako ng mga ideas or post kung meron bang nagcecelebrate ng mga simpleng birthday ng mga kids nila. But after reading this, you really got a point there especially the privacy of the kids. That is also the one reason why I often blog about my kids, because I still want their privacy. Also on my IG feed I started not to share a lot of their pictures. I will support you all the way Frances and Topaz Horizon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "I love my eldest son as much as I love the second and third. But most of the time, that little boy doesn't want his photos shared so I don't." -- My son didn't like me sharing his photos when he turned 7. He would ask, "Are you going to post that on IG? If yes, please don't take my photo or else I will make a super pangit face." haha So my IG feed is filled with my baby girl's photos and I will stop when she turns 7.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I felt you po. Minsan din sinasabihan ako ng ibang tao na bad mommy ako dahil sa lagi ko raw pinapakain sa mg fast food chain ang anak ko at lagi daw naka tutok sa tablet at laptop,pero ginawa ko lang yu kasi ayaw ko siya maging ignorante tsaka gusto ko rin namang maranasan ng anak ko ang hindi ko naranasan noon.Nakaka sad naman po ang pag good bye mo. Anyway God bless your family and more power.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sad but thankful na rin kasi hindi ka naman totally mawawala sa blogosphere. Hope to see more updates at Topaz Horizon. muah! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. No goodbyes. You'll be saying hello from the other side! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're an inspiration to me...your choice as a mom is admirable. Privacy should really be given even to our kids.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A little sad, but also excited to see this new chapter! Looking forward to more of your inspirational posts, Frances! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You inspire me to continue to be a better person.. To smile.. To enjoy life.. to hope for the good. to hope for the good in everyone

    ReplyDelete
  14. I’m very sad that it’s your last blog post, because I really enjoyed reading about live and admired you very much. Well, I still admire you a lot, because it’s necessary to give your kids some privacy. And I believe that is quite difficult to blog when you have kids, so I totally understand you. I want to thank you for inspiration, happiness and enjoying the life. You taught all your blog readers how to smile, be good person and enjoy what you have. I think most of your readers felt like living with you and going through difficult moments with you. So thank you being together. I wish you and your family all the best. And of course, keep being the same person as you are. You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete

This is all pretty new to me so please feel free to share your mommy wisdom!